question about 20 MOA bases

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I just got a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR with target turrets for my 7RM Sendero and I've got to get new mounts for the 30mm tube. I love Talleys, but was thinking about some 20moa bases or a DNZ Game Reaper one piece, also a 20 moa unit. My question is how do you figure your clicks with the 20 moa mounts? I mostly use the Big Game Ballistic calculator to get a rough estimate and go from there with regular mounts. I might be over-thinking it, though.

Is there anything to know in particular about them?

Shots will range from 100- ???? . I'd like to stretch it out on milk jugs but not on game (for now) :grin:

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

as I understand it, clicks will be the same with or with out an angled base.
the angled base, just provides you with more "come-up" range for longer distances. without it you may be stuck at 750 yards for example.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Chet, let me re-phrase a little. I think I asked the question wrong. Is there a different zero because of the line of sight vs bore?

Zero it the same as you always have. The scope will be optically zeroed from the factory. with the 20moa base you'll have to crank on the scope alot to zero in the rifle-which allows you that much more turret compensation when you shoot long distances.

20MOA base will add an additional 20MOA upward movement on your scope elevation. It has nothing to do with your rifle zero whatsoever. For example, if your scope specifications have a total of 60MOA of elevation travel. Theoretically, once the scope is mounted in your rifle, you only have 30MOA left of usable upward movement. By using 20MOA canted base, you now have a total of 50MOA upward elevation.This is important for long range shooting. Typically, a 308 needed at least 40MOA to get to 1000 yards from your 100 yards zero. This is where the canted reticle comes into play.

Desert Fox explained it in a simple way and made it easy to understand without muddying up the water.

Back