Question for you Experts

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
:grin:

What causes vertical spreads or horizontal spreads in groups?

And, how do you solve them?

Increasing powder load, changing bullet seating...?

Thanks
:wink:

More than likely, there is something rubbing or bowing (the barrel) as it heats up. There is the possibility that your loads are not exiting the barrel right at the sweet spot, where the barrel is stopped, and about to change direction in its oscillation. That can cause stringing, but usually it is fairly random. Of course, some stringing is to be expected, if the rifle groups outside one hole, as most do. My guess is that the barrel is getting a bit warm by shot three, four, and five, and bowing a tad, or bowing enough to make contact with the forearm of the rifle and cause different barrel harmonics on subsequent shots. Is this a free-floated gun, or not? What kind of rifle is it, and how bad is it stringing (how long are the spreads?)

Thanks "John" :grin: for your reply.

I would exclude the "touching barrel" issue, since I am pretty sure the barrel is not touching anything and is like a free-floted one.
My rifle is a K95 BLASER Kipplauf, and the forearm is a separate piece which is "slightly" connected to a small lug underneath the barrel (1/3 lenght from the chamber side). Again, it is quite loose.
I have noticed this tendency with some loads, while whith other is inexistent (regular round shape grouping) and that's why I think is more connected to pressure/speed than anything else.

I am also very careful with barrel heating and I akways wait between the shots.

Cheers :wink:

If you're only getting it with some loads, and not with others, it is definitely more than likely a harmonics issue. Barrels are funny little things, and they love wave forms when fired. I think that's the hardest thing for people to understand. And it can be affected by inconsistent heat treating processes or other manufacturing issues that are not visible to the eye. Overall, that's why I spend so much money on handloading supplies. I have some loads that I can group under an inch consistently with my rifles, and some that are "minute-of-barn-door" accurate!

Do you handload?

(And I assume the "John" joke is about the quote from Wayne? I love that. Simple and true.)

Stringing can often be attributed to the weakest link in the chain too - the shooter.

When I'm getting vertical stringing from an accurate rifle, I check my breathing. Pressing the trigger with lungs full of air vs with nearly empty lungs will result in vertical stringing...

When I'm getting horizontal stringing - and there's no wind - it's generally my trigger control that needs to be tightened up.

When I do everything right, and am shooting an accurate rifle, and the weather conditions cooperate - I can shoot some bragging groups - otherwise, well heck, that's why I keep trying! :grin:

For loads - getting everything as consistent as possible will reduce velocity spread and also reduce vertical stringing.

Regards, Guy

Back