R17 -270wsm

nshunter

Beginner
Aug 31, 2011
I picked up a pound of reloader 17 today. I will mainly be using 150 grain hornady sst and sp bullets, but noticed there is no load data on their site for 140 grain bullets. I also have 140 grain BT's and accubonds, why no data for the 140's?

Well they just didn't have any bullets left over to use. Actually I have no idea why.

I've had a ton of phone time with the load expert at Alliant powder. He is very helpful. I would almost bet money on the load he will tell you to go with.

If you call him he will give you a load for that bullet and powder. And I bet the window he gives you will be a starting load of 55 grains and a max of 61

Of course remember to use the Nosler load data for your C.O.A.L. since you are using their bullet.

Yeah, I'm not really too worries about it, but it is a bit odd though, why they would leave out the 140's. 61 grains would most likely be the max load if 60 is the max for the 150's and 62 is for the 130's. Loaded up a dozen this morning, starting at 57 and working up to 59.5 with 150 g hornady sp bullets, I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to see how they shoot.

nshunter":kh2a0hlu said:
Yeah, I'm not really too worries about it, but it is a bit odd though, why they would leave out the 140's. 61 grains would most likely be the max load if 60 is the max for the 150's and 62 is for the 130's. Loaded up a dozen this morning, starting at 57 and working up to 59.5 with 150 g hornady sp bullets, I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to see how they shoot.

NS, I haven't used RL17 in the 270WSM with 150's, but my favorite loads use RL22 for the 150 BT and 150 PT.

RL22 and 150 PT - WW cases, CCI250's

IMG_0824.jpg

RL22 and 150 BT - WW cases, CCI250's

DSC_1231.jpg

Both loads run about 3125 outta my rifle..

I use RL17 and the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. It has accounted for moose, elk and whitetail so far, each animal dropping at the shot. I guess I haven't felt the need to look much farther.

DrMike":1mge7kao said:
I use RL17 and the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. It has accounted for moose, elk and whitetail so far, each animal dropping at the shot. I guess I haven't felt the need to look much farther.

What charge weight are you using? Close to max pressure? I was at the range yesterday, starting at 57g and working up to 59.5. It seemed to shoot better with the hotter loads, I am going to try max load of 60g next and hopefully that will shoot even better. Overall my groups weren't that great, but I find this rifle fussy with 150g bullets.

nshunter,

I'm using a charge of 59.5 grains in my loads. That is pretty near max in my rifle. Groups are 0.3 inches.

Back