Ran out of elevation

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I put a vortex viper on my Grendel this past winter and after getting it to zero, I only have 32 clicks of elevation left. I zeroed at 25 yards but want to shoot as far as I can with this rifle. I have Rock River Arms one piece base. It is like the Burris perp mount. The rifle is an ar15. Any thouhgts on what to do?

Burrris Signature Offset Rings and inserts. I had a similar problem with one of my rifles and these rings worked great.

As Jeff mentioned, a 20 MOA base will get you where you want to be.

JD338

I may be missing something with the rings IdhoCTD posted. I need them for an AR15 rail. Will weaver style rings work on a rail? Sorry, my brain is not here today.

Okay, I did some looking at the rifle set up and really like the way the scope is mounted forward on the receiver. I started thinking about a shim. I loosened it all up and was able to get folded paper under the mount with ease. Do you think this would be an option? I could then keep the mount that puts the scope more forward so I get a better cheek weld. I was able to get .060" of paper under the mount in front of the screw.

Thanks for all the help guys, I need it.

Paper will compress over time.

Something doesn't sound right. You should have a lot more then just 8 moa of elevation left. Which Viper scope do you have?

BTW, I'm using a RRA scope mount on my AR. It's a great scope mount. On an AR you need to have the scope higher and forward for proper cheek weld. The but stock on an AR is level with the action, not below like a traditional sporter stock so typical rings are not a good option for the AR. Ideally you want the ocular roughly even with the charging handle. Note the location of my scope relative to the charging handle:

complete-1.jpg

I have shimmed the rear portion of a one-piece base to gain necessary elevation. It worked fine and was still working fine when I sold the rifle several years later.

A thin piece of brass shim stock worked great!

This is for one-piece bases.

Guy

It is a Viper HS in a Rock River Arms one piece mount on an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. I zeroed the rifle at 25 yards and now have 32 clicks left.

If I shim, I will not use paper. It will be brass or aluminum. (pop can)

My scope mount allows me to see the 4th slot from the rear on the upper. I would say that my scope is a little more forward than the one in the picture.

Which model of the Viper HS?

I looked at a few of them and it looks like the 4-16x44 has the least amount of internal adjustment at 50 MOA. One click is 1/4 MOA, so 32 clicks mean just 8 MOA up. I would expect you to have closer to ~25 MOA (~ 100 clicks) of elevation left.

I would cross reference your model with Vortex website to see what the advertised internal adjustment is and then make sure you have the full range. If you do then maybe there is something wrong with the mount, or the receiver, or how they are connecting to each other.

That is the model I have. I have 196 clicks down. I used a lot getting the cross hairs up to get to zero.

That's way too much adjustment wasted to get zeroed. I'd even be surprised if the mount could be that far off. After checking to see if it's the same on another rifle, I'd be sending that scope in for repair.

I doubt it's the scope. Betting its the mount or rifle being slightly out of square.

Why is it sighted in at 25 yds? Also as short as that rail is up top I would just go with some 2 piece mounts in x high?

Back