range day, .223 & .308

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My oldest son accompanied me to the range this afternoon. He got a new scope mount for his AR-15 varminter as a Christmas present, and hadn't shot the rifle with the new scope mount yet. I had a new rifle to check for the SWAT team; a Rem 700 LTR in .308 Win. Off we went!

Josh was able to position his grape behind the scope more comfortably than ever before thanks to the new scope mount and he shot better than I've ever seen him shoot a rifle! Happy Dad here!

Joshrange02.jpg

joshrange03.jpg

The new SWAT rifle is a real honey! I picked it up this morning, gave it a good once-over, installed the scope, cleaned the barrel and took it to the range. Decided there was no reason to vary from my shoot one/clean & repeat break-in routine, so proceeded to do so. After six single shots, I fired a three-round group:

LTRtgt01.jpg

Things were looking good, so I cleaned the barrel again, and fired another three-shot group:

LTRtgt02.jpg

Something is obviously wrong with the rifle - I fired three shots and only made one hole in the target... :lol:

LTR01.jpg

LTR02.jpg

Guyrange01.jpg

The 700 LTR, a "Light Tactical Rifle" is a really nice little piece of gear, and a fellow just might want to consider one if he wanted a compact but accurate .308 bolt gun. They also make 'em in .223 for those folks who want a varmint cartridge. It's only got a 20" barrel, fluted, and has the HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block. This new one is my first experience with Remington's new trigger, and I have to say that it is quite an improvement! 'Bout time. I may still need to adjust this thing down a bit, but it is crisp. Used Warne for the scope base and rings, very nice "tactical" heavy duty steel stuff. The Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x is simply superb. This is a true "tactical" scope, with the external windage & elevation adjustments, a 30mm tube, and an illuminated mil-dot reticle. A very nice package, and I wish we'd had one available for the team years ago.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Congratulations to both Josh and yourself, good shooting.

That 700LTR looks to be a real sweetheart of a rifle and a shooter to!
I really like that Mark 4 too. The bad boys are in deep dark trouble!:grin:
What was the load you were shooting in your 308 Win?

JD338

We were both shooting factory ammo today. I was using Federal Gold Medal match ammo with the 168 gr Sierra match bullet. Good stuff. It does about 2730 fps from my 24" barreled rifle, but I didn't chronograph it today from the LTR's 20" tube.

Federal.jpg

Over the years I've found the Nosler competition bullet shoots as well as the Sierra, and have used them with the same load data. My normal handload with the 168 Nosler is 45 grains of Varget. It produces excellent accuracy and about the same velocity as the factory loaded Federal stuff.

Josh was using 55 gr FMJ Black Hills commercial reloads. His Bushmaster was pretty darned accurate with it!

Regards, Guy

Guy,

The good 'ol days of factory ammo is here and now! :lol:
Outstanding!

JD338

I have a friend who has that same LTR, but in a 300SAUM. He loves it, and corroborates your information that they shoot like a dream, and handle excellent, as well.

Hey Guy,
Glad to see you had some time to get out and shoot with your son. I have that exact gun (Rem 700 LTR in 308). You right about the trigger, real crsip! I brought mine down to 3#. You'll find it shoots the Nosler 155gr C.C. and Lapua Scenar 155gr just as well as the 168 SMK. As far as your son, looks like the student will soon become the master! :wink:
Mike

Some pretty good shooting Guy, just don't be too hard on the lad for wearing the Air Force hat if he needed to keep his head warm. Semper Fi.

Who needs custom if your factory can shoot like that. I have a friend who bought Sendero in 300 Win Mag, when they first came out and it can put three bullet in one hole. His father went out and bought one also but his won't shoot a hoot. Factory rifle is roll of the dice.

Guy, very good shooting and very nice set up and Josh sure did good with the rifle he is shooting. I like it and it is nice to have a day at the range like that. :grin:

I neglected to mention that I was doing the break-in and initial sighting at our 50 yard pistol range because it was convenient - these are 50 yard groups, not 100 yard groups! Still, I think the LTR has good potential just from what I've seen so far.

Regards, Guy

Good shooting Guy, looks like maybe in a few years the son might be out shooting dad, i know thats what happen here.
I know you are real proud of him. Good luck this year at the matches.

Look out there Guy....your shooting against younger eyes :lol: . Looks like you guys had a good time and that is some great shooting!! Having fun times with the young man....way to go Dad!! CL

Back