Range day with .284 and .264 LRAB. . .what gives?

+1 on the above replies. I usually remove the seater plug and test it on a bullet to check fit. I'm looking to see that the bullet sets at the ogive and not the tip. I too, have drilled seater plugs to obtain a better fit. You just want ensure a consistent depth and base to ogive measurement. I have noticed variances in length for most plastic tipped bullets.

Scott

Thanks guys. I've looked into this on my dies. . .I'm going to experiment a little with this.

If I were the OP, i would try a faster powder and less velocity with the 150 and 168. Doesn't really matter what miracle powder we are using....when you get over the top velocity wise, rifles/bullets frequently quit shooting.

These thin skinned NABLR may simply do better driven slower,and with a faster powder to boot. Going to a faster powder and losing 100 fps is one of the oldest tricks in the books for getting rifles to shoot when they tank with slow powders and top end velocities.

From what I see the OP's velocities seem excessive for a 280 AI,and more what I'd expect to see from a bigger case.

Some time ago I understood that these were developed with noslers line of 26,28 and 30 Nosler calibers... Designed for the high velocities they are capable of?

I tried 140gr accubonds and am grouping 1" at 200. Think I'll stick to the 140's since I don't plan on shooting past 500 at any animal.

I'll have some 300+ 129's to sell here shortly.....

I will be experimenting with the LRAB in my 7 WSM. I'm not sure why because the plain-jane 160 Accubonds are shooting into 1" at 300 yds and drop game reliably. I'm just a sucker for new fangled bullets.

Maybe I should have phrased what i was trying to say differently. Obviously if Nosler is using the LRAB in the 26 and 28 Nosler, they are capable of shooting well at high velocity.

But if you are driving them ( or any bullet) over max in a given case, accuracy frequently falls into the toilet,as you exceed an optimum burn for the powder charges in use. Plus, some rifle simply don't like to be pushed too hard.

I have seen this all to may times.

At any rate I'd be interested to see how the OP's rifle shoots with the 150's driven 3050 or so with RL22;and the 168's at 2900-2950. I personally think the velocities he's seeing are over the top for a 280 AI.

Charlie-NY":3hmw9l9a said:
I will be experimenting with the LRAB in my 7 WSM. I'm not sure why because the plain-jane 160 Accubonds are shooting into 1" at 300 yds and drop game reliably. I'm just a sucker for new fangled bullets.

I was lured in as well Charlie. My WSM shoots the 160 AB and just about ANY other Nosler into fairly small groups. It plain stunk with the ABLR's.

Back