Range Day with the new rifle

Oldtrader3":3gedo98r said:
From the blood evidence, it looks like the stapler won?

Ok now don't get me laughing about that one again (I have hit myself with the stapler before). I thinks there still a red trail along the walk to the targets. Just remember to keep fingers to oposite side when stapling the targets on Wednesday Osprey78. Sure wish I could go.

If you have a set of calipers you can simply buy a basic bullet comparoter (Spelling?) set from Hornady. This will allow you to measure from the bullet ogive to the end of the case for your seating depth adjustments.
I take a fired case and dent the end just enough to hold the chosen bullet. I also black the bullet with felt pen. Insert the base of the bullet into the case and slowly chamber the round then slowly eject it.
Measure and write down comparator measurement. Repeat 5 times. You should have several the same reading and this is your measurement where that bullet contacts the lands.
Write this down as a control.
Now you can measure exactly how far you are seating from the lands.
Everytime you change bullets this must be repeated as bullet shapes change.
That group at, I believe 45.5 grains looks real good. With some seating depth tweaking it should really tighten up.

nosler06":2er6fklj said:
Oldtrader3":2er6fklj said:

Ok now don't get me laughing about that one again (I have hit myself with the stapler before). I thinks there still a red trail along the walk to the targets. Just remember to keep fingers to oposite side when stapling the targets on Wednesday Osprey78. Sure wish I could go.

You could 'Slomba' the day and come with me. Hahaha. Sorry folks inside joke.

Darkhorse":33ndtdts said:
If you have a set of calipers you can simply buy a basic bullet comparoter (Spelling?) set from Hornady. This will allow you to measure from the bullet ogive to the end of the case for your seating depth adjustments.
I take a fired case and dent the end just enough to hold the chosen bullet. I also black the bullet with felt pen. Insert the base of the bullet into the case and slowly chamber the round then slowly eject it.
Measure and write down comparator measurement. Repeat 5 times. You should have several the same reading and this is your measurement where that bullet contacts the lands.
Write this down as a control.
Now you can measure exactly how far you are seating from the lands.
Everytime you change bullets this must be repeated as bullet shapes change.
That group at, I believe 45.5 grains looks real good. With some seating depth tweaking it should really tighten up.

Thanks Darkhorse.

I will try and get my hands on that comparator soon. I am going to the range in a couple of days as the chrony I am borrowing is now on borrowed time as the owner wants it back. I am going to chrony the 45.5 grain loads and make sure all is well then I will try the technique you are speaking of.

Osprey78":3ip8hihp said:
nosler06":3ip8hihp said:
Oldtrader3":3ip8hihp said:

You could 'Slomba' the day and come with me. Hahaha. Sorry folks inside joke.

I would, but I have had 2 years of "Slomba" with the knee. Remember? I will send my 06' with you.

Back