Range Day with the new rifle

Osprey78

Handloader
Feb 27, 2014
So, Nosler06 and I went to the range today. I made up some loads for my Savage 10 .308 which consisted of loads in 1/2 grain increments from 42-46 grains, Nosler HPBT Custom competitions in 168 grain, Nosler Brass and CCI 200 primers.

Not very proficient in the length of the round itself. Luckily, Nosler06 had a couple of Factory custom rounds that I set my die to.

Mounted on the rifle is a 4-12x40 Redfield Revolution with the Accurange Reticle. I wasn't too sure on this reticle when I first bought it, however I am actually quite impressed with it. I would prefer a little bit more of a scope, however this is the one that can get me shooting at the moment. The other one I would like is not in the budget right now.

I had shot this rifle only once before (well 20 times actually) with a box of Remington Factory Core Lokts, however the store only had 150 grains.

You'll see with the first target that the holes are quite low, that's because I was aiming in the centre which the 150's were dialed into. The remaining strings I aimed higher, therefore they are on target.

There is a couple of pages you'll see a red streak...let's just say the stapler and I now have an understanding...

I did not Chrony these...but I will after I work up the load that seemed to work best for me.

Also you'll notice that on the first 6 I believe, there is a flyer. The last 3...I didn't clean my barrel in between. I notice that with my .300 WinMag as well if I clean my barrel the first shot is always a flyer... I didn't measure the flyer in with the groups today, as I know that those were my first shots with a clean barrel.

All shots at 200 yards.

The crowd all gathered for an outing...

At the range, only 3' of snow left or so...not too bad. Temperature was 1 degree C when we arrived, and was 6 degrees C when we left.

42 grains Varget- Eeesh... The other 2 were below the target itself about 1" and 1 1/2"...they are marked with small arrows at the bottom of the page.

42.5 Grains Varget-

43 Grains Varget-

43.5 Grains Varget-

44 Grains Varget-

44.5 grains Varget-

45 grains Varget-

45.5 Grains Varget-

46 grains Varget-

Soooo......

Although the groups are tighter on the 42.5 grain and43 grain target, I think I am going to try and work with the load on the 45.5 Grain target. It shows promise and also velocity. I know, I know speed isn't everything but there is less drop with a faster bullet. Keep in mind, this is pretty much a "dial in the load, target practice (informal), type hobby rifle.

Thanks for looking.

That is some very encouraging work. You should be able to make some fine loads from that data. Glad to see you have some warmer weather. It got up to -4 here today. Still, that is pretty nice.

Cool. I usually run 165's and 168's up around 45 - 46 gr Varget.

The .308 as you've already seen, can be very accurate. Some of those are really quite good 200 yard groups! Good shooting.

The first round out of a clean bore is not a flyer. It is just where your rifle shoots with a clean bore. That is the reason that you should always zero on a fouled bore and hunt, shoot etc. on a fouled bore unless you are willing to clean your bore before EVERY shot.

Nice work.
Once you get your load, try seating the bullet deeper in .005" increments to tighten up your groups even more.

JD338

1Shot":23vt5ybp said:
The first round out of a clean bore is not a flyer. It is just where your rifle shoots with a clean bore. That is the reason that you should always zero on a fouled bore and hunt, shoot etc. on a fouled bore unless you are willing to clean your bore before EVERY shot.

Ahh...when put that way, it makes sense.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

My brothers 308 AR-10 shoots the 168 CC into .5" groups with 47 gr of IMR 4350 if I remember the load right loaded to mag length. It's pretty sweet.

Thanks Osprey, for the photos and the range report. You have a good start there and I believe in no time at all you will have it dialed in :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

Hey what in the world is the red smudge on the one target? I will upload some target photos, but are not as impressive. It was fun and couldn't of asked for better weather.

nosler06":1n9ymji1 said:
Hey what in the world is the red smudge on the one target? I will upload some target photos, but are not as impressive. It was fun and couldn't of asked for better weather.

Ha! you know exactly what that was.

45.5 grains of Varget looks real good to me. I would think the speed should be right in the 308's sweet spot and with a little seating depth work, they should be incredible.

SJB358":2x6osbef said:
45.5 grains of Varget looks real good to me. I would think the speed should be right in the 308's sweet spot and with a little seating depth work, they should be incredible.

So JD338 was saying to back it off in .005" increments. here's the thing... I have no idea of where the bullets are in regards to the lands, as i just used some factory Nosler customs to guage the length by.

I can see an OAL guage in my future though.

Osprey78":1ejde8gr said:
SJB358":1ejde8gr said:

So JD338 was saying to back it off in .005" increments. here's the thing... I have no idea of where the bullets are in regards to the lands, as i just used some factory Nosler customs to guage the length by.

I can see an OAL guage in my future though.

...there's a formula you can use to convert threads/in. to 1/1000", but in the meantime, if you just move your seating screw a 1/4 turn, do it consistently & keep track of how many times you change your seating depth, you can find your sweet spot...

OK Thanks, and correct me if i am wrong, but the closer to the lands the better, right?

Yes but each rifle has it's sweet spot with each bullet so it may end up different. That bullet may like close or it may want a jump only work with the rifle will tell you. It appears that you have the classic 2 in 1 out so if you load a set with a certain powder charge at varying COALs you will see a change of accuracy. Pick the the that is best and your done. There was a really good post recently about it.

Hey Osprey, how west is west Kootenays? My son played for the ICE for awhile but got traded.
There used to be a Taxidermist in Cranbrook that grew up in the same neighbourhood as I did back here in Regina. He went to school with my younger sister. Wilf was a avid outdoors man and I have been advised that he is a half decent taxidermist.

Blessings,
Dan

Ahh Cranbrook. When did your son play for the Ice? My son who is 15 follows the WHL would prob know who he is. Where is he playing now?

sask boy":3r633rn8 said:
Hey Osprey, how west is west Kootenays? My son played for the ICE for awhile but got traded.
There used to be a Taxidermist in Cranbrook that grew up in the same neighbourhood as I did back here in Regina. He went to school with my younger sister. Wilf was a avid outdoors man and I have been advised that he is a half decent taxidermist.

Blessings,
Dan

PM Sent

My Savage 10's, plural shoot best with 45-gr of Varget. I would suggest you check your torque on the bolts. Your groups should do better. Just trying to help but I have 3-different Savage model 10's in 308 and one shot similar to your groups and it got worlds better when I re did the torque settings.

I tried to find the instructions but if you google Savage Torque you will pull up a wealth of articles and procedures.

hunting1":34izunff said:
My Savage 10's, plural shoot best with 45-gr of Varget. I would suggest you check your torque on the bolts. Your groups should do better. Just trying to help but I have 3-different Savage model 10's in 308 and one shot similar to your groups and it got worlds better when I re did the torque settings.

I tried to find the instructions but if you google Savage Torque you will pull up a wealth of articles and procedures.

Thanks I will try that but keep in mind. A lot of the variance is probably me, the shooter.

Back