Range Day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Loaded some 225 AB's with 57grs of RL 15 and some 200gr Hornadays with 60grs of 4064
and went to PA where I could us a good bench and measured yardage .
The limb saver did it's job and tamed the felt recoil substantially.
I also took along my 300bee to shoot between shots for cool down. I had 71 degree temps and blue bird sky's with a slight breeze to my back. The Bee needed to be resighted since I had taken the scope off to try on the Whelen before the Vortex came.
The Whelen performed as expected with the 200's and got a surprise from the 225s and the Winchester large rifle magnum primers. Two of the five 225 loads primers popped and now I have two gas burns on my bolt face. What is strange is there was only 4 primers left in the pack and I used 3 of them since I already had 2 casings primed and only needed 3 primers. I checked my lot numbers when I got home and of the 3 packs of Winchester magnum primers the lot number for the ones that popped I only had one pack with that lot number. These primers are probably several years old because I bought them when I got my Bee which was in 2012 and couldn't use them because of the broken ankle.
The burn marks on the bolt face are barely noticeable with all the machine marks left by Remington from turning the bolt face and are no deeper than some of the grooves left behind but still annoying.
Here are some pics of the targets shot and of the brass, I hope you can make out the holes in the primers I only have my cell phone to take pictures and send them to my computer.
I think the 225s will tighten up if I play with OAL and the 200s also. Got a feeling they are too long and heed to be seated deeper.
I also found out that I have a Turkey Neck yeah it's longer than I thought. To get good scope alignment I have to have my face high on the stock compared to my Weatherby with it's Monty Carlo style stock Just may have to invest in a Medalist Weatherby style stock for it. I don't no if the DNZ scope mount is low or medium, the Talley's on the Bee are medium.
One thing I would have liked to have seen was the point of impact for the 200s and 225s being on the same side of the target. I expected the elevation to be different.

Attachments

• NCM_0117.JPG
    NCM_0117.JPG
    863 KB · Views: 682
  • NCM_0115.JPG
    NCM_0115.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 682
  • NCM_0116.JPG
    NCM_0116.JPG
    790.7 KB · Views: 682
ILooks like it shoots real well. You could hunt with either of those two just the way they are. Can't imagine what they'll do with a little tuning.

Glad you got out and shot today.

Roger,

I have used a lot of IMR4064 in my Whelen with both 200 gr and 225 gr bullets and got excellent accuracy. Never used Magnum primers.

JD338

Those targets are NRA 25 yd pistol targets and the rings are 1". the 200s are close but not quite what I want to see. the 225s are 3 in and 2 out and I would like to tighten both up some.
As for the magnum primers I thought I would give them a try. Both loads are full to the bottom of the case neck so I really wouldn't need the mag primers unless I switched to a ball powder.
Jim what were your loads for 4064?
Scotty ran me some QL loads and I have them copied to use for reference.

truck driver":2g4cb622 said:
Loaded some 225 AB's with 57grs of RL 15 and some 200gr Hornadays with 60grs of 4064
and went to PA where I could us a good bench and measured yardage .
The limb saver did it's job and tamed the felt recoil substantially.
I also took along my 300bee to shoot between shots for cool down. I had 71 degree temps and blue bird sky's with a slight breeze to my back. The Bee needed to be resighted since I had taken the scope off to try on the Whelen before the Vortex came.
The Whelen performed as expected with the 200's and got a surprise from the 225s and the Winchester large rifle magnum primers. Two of the five 225 loads primers popped and now I have two gas burns on my bolt face. What is strange is there was only 4 primers left in the pack and I used 3 of them since I already had 2 casings primed and only needed 3 primers. I checked my lot numbers when I got home and of the 3 packs of Winchester magnum primers the lot number for the ones that popped I only had one pack with that lot number. These primers are probably several years old because I bought them when I got my Bee which was in 2012 and couldn't use them because of the broken ankle.
The burn marks on the bolt face are barely noticeable with all the machine marks left by Remington from turning the bolt face and are no deeper than some of the grooves left behind but still annoying.
Here are some pics of the targets shot and of the brass, I hope you can make out the holes in the primers I only have my cell phone to take pictures and send them to my computer.
I think the 225s will tighten up if I play with OAL and the 200s also. Got a feeling they are too long and heed to be seated deeper.
I also found out that I have a Turkey Neck yeah it's longer than I thought. To get good scope alignment I have to have my face high on the stock compared to my Weatherby with it's Monty Carlo style stock Just may have to invest in a Medalist Weatherby style stock for it. I don't no if the DNZ scope mount is low or medium, the Talley's on the Bee are medium.
One thing I would have liked to have seen was the point of impact for the 200s and 225s being on the same side of the target. I expected the elevation to be different.

That is what my Winchester primers looked like when I had my issue. Contact Winchester and most likely they will want you to send the primers and shells in.

OU812, There is a pin hole in each one right where the cup roles over. Were yours large rifle magnum primers?

truck driver":35bnlkce said:
OU812, There is a pin hole in each one right where the cup roles over. Were yours large rifle magnum primers?

No mine were WRL but had they exact same type of pin hole where the cup rolls over. Winchester said it was a weak spot in the metal of the primer.

truck driver":duw6ob4u said:
Did they do anything else besides that? like offer to reface your bolt?

Yes they offered me to take my rifle to a gunsmith to be checked out or a new bolt face. The mark on my bolt face was so small I was not concerned about it but the lady asked me about it on more than 1 occasion.

Like you I'm not really worried about the marks. The left over machine marks are deeper. .0010 off the bolt face would clean up the marks but would still have original machine marks from Remington which are deeper. Too clean everything up I would also have to have the head space reset and all the original markings and screw holes would be off.

Well guys I must be in love. I was up till mid night looking at different web sites looking at and copying different loads for the Whelen. I looked at so many different articles and post that my eyes started to cross and had to shut the computer off and go to bed. :lol:
I wrote down a lot of what I read so I could compare with what Scotty and DrMike have already worked up for me with QL.
The info I didn't write down looked to be out of line and dangerous.
Need to shut this computer down and go mow some grass since I ran around all day yesterday with the wife and need to catch up on my chores. :lol:

New day and some different powder charges under the 225gr AB.
Started out with 58grs of RL15 and worked my way up to 60grs and a OAL of 3.405 as suggested by Jim and theses are the results.
So what do you think? Should I try to lengthen the OAL or run with what I got?

Attachments

• NCM_0124.JPG
    NCM_0124.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 509
  • NCM_0125.JPG
    NCM_0125.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 509
  • NCM_0126.JPG
    NCM_0126.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 509
  • NCM_0127.JPG
    NCM_0127.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 509
If you go deeper like was said it should tighten things up, that is exactly what happened with my 200 gr AB load. Maybe try 3.390 and 3.375 next and see how they look.

gerry":3nxja38a said:
If you go deeper like was said it should tighten things up, that is exactly what happened with my 200 gr AB load. Maybe try 3.390 and 3.375 next and see how they look.
Thanks gerry I will give that a try in my freshly annealed brass (y)

Back