Range Finder

I'm now using a bushnell 1500arc . I did have a nikon 800 . one thing to remember is most of these will range an animal to about half of the rated distance . I had my nikon on a caribou hunt , and it had trouble ranging a caribou at 400 yards . it did finally give a reading . at the shooting range the nikon had trouble with the steel rams at 500 meters , they were rusty .after I gave a ram a fresh coat of white paint and it would range it . my bushy will range the rusty rams . I've ranged rocks , and a hemlock tree over 1200 yards with the bushy . my opinion is the arc feature in rifle mode is not worth having . Jim

I own a Swarovski rangefinder and could not be happier with its performance. The optics are great and it ranges stuff way the heck furthur than I even expected. I go antelope hunting every year and it will range those little critters at 12-1400 yards pretty routinely. Not about to shoot that far, just interesting to see just how far they are.

I owned a Bushnell 400 and then an 800, but they were pretty sorry. Very lousy optics and as previously mentioned, they would only range animals at about half their rated distance.

Several years ago I treated myself to a Swarovski rangefinder. It's been a tremendous help in the field. Not only will it range to impressive distances, it's got pretty doggone good glass in it as well. Kind of a half-binocular or a small 8x spotting scope.

With it, I've routinely ranged out beyond 1,000 yards. Actually used it to measure distances and help me plan a stalk on a mule deer in 2009. Then confirmed the distance to the buck before taking the shot. Last year I ranged a bear, decided he was too far for a shot, stalked closer and then made the shot when I got a reading of 306 yards.

Expensive, but I just worked some overtime and gave myself a nice present. It's been real useful.

Guy

I'm using an older model Leica 1200. I've had no problem ranging to 1000 yards. It's a pretty rugged rangefinder as I've had it on my belt and fell, rolling over it with my body. It's also very good on battery usage.

i have a leica 1200 i am happy with it. my friend has the swarovski and ranged my farthest target on a hillside at 1990 yards three times with +- 5 yards. my leica after seeing this threw up! i am looking at the swarovski and waiting to here reports on the br2 that gunwerks is fielding right now. if the br2 can do what it claims i may have to get one, hopefully vectronics is making this for them. i no way shape or form am i a fan of gunwerks but i heard rumors that vectronics was in on the br2 rangefinder and those guys are to rangefinders as oehler is to chronographs.

Swarovski rangefinder is what I use. Had several different brands, but they did not do what they were supposed to do. Save your money and get the best you can afford.

I am using the Zeiss Rangefinders and I can't say they are the best all, but they are clear and range just about anything I am steady enough to put them on. Scotty

Swarovski all the way. They are so clear you can almost see in the dark. Kind of expensive though.Thank god for my Cabelas Visa card points. I use it for all my business expenses so I get a few hundred a month in credit. 8)

I can't hang with you guys....you all are using the clubs you play The Masters with and I can only afford the type club you play the local public course with. :grin:

No one uses something like the Nikon Rifle Hunter? I know the Leupold RF's suck but is no one using the under $500 RF's?

i have a bushnell arc 1500 that is collecting dust i will make you a deal on. cheap. and because its an electronic item i will mail it to you first if you dont want it send it back.

Scott

The Swaro is expensive but it will be the last LRF you will ever buy.
I have ranged tree lines over 1800 yds (1760 yds is 1 mile).

JD338

I'm using a Leica 1600. So far I'm happy with it, but I've not used the Swaro yet to compare.

Back