Range Rats

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
I wonder if you guys experience the same thing??? Each Sunday I compete in off hand rifle "mini match" at my local range. I won big bucks last month by the way :lol:
Anyway, a few of us (same group each week) get there early to set-up and every week it's the same thing... a complete %$#* mess! Members bring everything to shoot at and pick up nothing when they are finished in addition to destroying target stands :evil:
The other thing that really bothers me is the majority of the other competitors (except a select few) show up just in time for the match while the rest of use are sweating and have heart rates in the 160 range (great for off hand shooting accuracy) from shoveling snow and running up and down the course! This wouldn't be a big deal to me and the other "workers" but we're all trying to improve our shooting and there is money involved! Just thought I would share my frustration ( I have with the other members but ...)

Mike

Mike,

We have the same issues at our club too when it come to picking up the trash. Maybe a No Pay/No Play policy is in order.
The guys that show up to shoot need to show up an hour earlier to help or they can't shoot. After the initial reactions and cool off period, things should run a lot smother. And you will have a lower heart rate which will help your scores. :wink:

JD338

Its sad thiers people like that I pick up a lot of garbage where I shoot so I bring a big garbage bag pick it all up but I find a lot of brass mostly 30 06 I told my I'v got enough I might have to buy one some day she thought I was kidding I'm not. :grin:

Oh, forgot to mention the guy picking-up my father's Nosler brass while he was on the line shooting last week :shock:
Wait, gets better.
I said to the guy,"Hey, I reload those for my Father."
He says, "Nosler, never heard of them." :shock: :?: :shock: :?:

Tempting to use a #3 coil spring trap with a shiny piece of
Nosler brass for bait. :twisted:

JD338

Apparently this is a plague at all shooting facilities. We even found a shot up television at our range once. :x

JCalhoun":3rrxvf2m said:
Apparently this is a plague at all shooting facilities. We even found a shot up television at our range once. :x

A TV?
Now if you had said a computer,....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JD338

We have the same problem at our club- or used to. Not so much any more, but some people will be inconsiderate no matter what you do. We had a wake up call a few years back and really tighten the regs and upped the price and made a mandatory "orientation" an annual requirement for everyone. We upped the price too. Annual dues were $25 and you could get your membership in the mail. Not any more. Buulet holes in the trees, six feet up and behind the berm got some peoples attention. We closed the range down in the middle of the season for about 3 months and trippled the annual fees. That realy made some members mad but it weeded out the ones who didnt get the idea the were not shooting in the dump or busting rocks in the pasture. That took care of the guys shooting trash and computers. Our orientation pulls no punches, if you screw up it will affect all of us so we police ourselves pretty close and any time you need help call the sherrif. A club provided photo ID tatken at annual orientation is required when you are on the range.

We spent some of the new revenue on improvements that the non shooting public can see and we concentrate on what we can do for the local community. We also have somegreat guys who run a darn good trap league, open to the public. Our membership is probably half what is was five years ago but we are also bringing in new members as a result.

Some things dont change people will still look for a free ride if they can and some still bend the rules; but the major stuff is gone. There's probably 200 members on the role and 25 is about average for the monthly meeting. and they do most of the work. I dont have cures for that just saying there is an avantage to the work. We have a nice place to shoot and good company CL

p.s. My personal pet pieve is exploded cans of "great stuff" foam insulation. Try pushing a wheelchair through that crap to put up your targets. Ive doged most every type of manure known to man but that stuff on your hands is nasty!!

Back