Range results

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
My sister has an old P226 in 9mm SA and I tried it along with the Kimbers inj .45 and .38 Super. The Sig shot 147 Hydra Shoks low and left at 30 feet and I was not too impressed with the accuracy.
Kimber .45 with : factory PMC ball 1-2 inches at 15 yards
Remington FMJ flat nose 1-2 inches at "" ""
Golden Sabre 185 grn.
W231 6.0 grn. 1-2 inches at "" ""
Nosler Comp. 185 grn HP
W231 6.0 grn. 1-1 1/2 inches "" ""
All guns were shot offhand.

The Golden Sabres are seated at 1.220" and has a lot of blowby ( fine debris or powder) on my face and shot the Nosler Competition and it shot just fine with no blowby on the face. The Noslers are more coned in the front of bullet than the Sabres; Sabres are more open mouthed in front and they were seated the same length.

Should the Sabres be seated deeper to eliminate the blowby?

I don't see reason why the Sig P226 9mm shot poorly at further ranges past 15 yards. Groups were opened up compared to the Kimbers. I expected the Sig to shoot better. She says that she does not clean her guns like we do and her hubby don't give a s*** about cleaning her guns after firing it for the last 7 years. Could this be the cause of poor accuracy?

Both Kimbers, while shooting at a silouette at 65 paces, shot impressive 4-5 inches groups with factory ball ammo, not offhand. :lol:

What are best powder choices for the Kimbers? I know it has been said before a few times. As of now the W231 shoots fine at that distance but has a low and mild charge compared to the factory ammo. I am going to try some Blue Dot for comparison later. Blue Dot in the Super has given it a more bang than the W231. Need to make a second batch of .45's with Blue Dot, how much would you put for 185 grn. .45 bullets?
Mark

POP, Any chance of anawering the question on the blowby, if you know?

I remembered that the Sabres were the last 50 rounds I shot and there were excessive hot oil on the front receiver and hammer areas, it may be hot oil. I kinda put a little too much cause I was cycling about 150 rounds.

Mark

MARK:

I CAN NOT REALLY SAY FOR SURE.

I know 231 is super clean burning and very fast to boot so I know you were not getting any unburned powder (like I do from H110 in my 44 mag)---always get sprayed in the face.

Take it easy on the oil. I do not oil at all any of my handguns unless after cleaning.

Any good handgun can go 100's if not 1000's of rounds before oil is needed.

Back