RANGE UPDATE: Advice sought re 308 Win mid-range groups

I've upgraded the mounts to some good steel Leupold PRW ones and have placed a cheap scope on it that some of you might be interested in. Some of you guys may gag at this :oops: but I got a good cheapie price on a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 BDC scope. Not a flash bit of kit but a huge step up from the Tasco, and for the money I must say the optics are very clear.

Anyway mounted her up and sighted in at 120y and all was good with bipod and rear bag...

572255E4-A227-42CF-943B-EC9FBD9C4600_zpssdvn8kd7.jpg

Then out to 600y again. I'm still waiting on another pad to lengthen the LOP, as a result shooting was a little uncomfy. I shot a few seven shot groups in about 15kmh of swirly wind...

BB3719CA-38A2-4884-AFCF-CD5DDB59E13A_zpsgpiar129.jpg

This group was fairly representative, a bit less than 4 inches vertical and 8 inches or so horizontal. I was just shooting for centre of the diamond, not trying to dope wind.

Happy enough at this stage.

Pleasantly, the scope adjustments were accurate. The rifle was sighted for 250y before taking it to 600. The charts said I needed to dial up 12 moa which I did and the first group was only 2 inches high at 600y. Not bad for a 200 Aussie dollar scope I thought. One click down and I was on the money!

For anyone interested I'll report back when I've put this scope through it's paces more stringently. It'll do for now though...

8C0F5BFF-7F53-4E1A-BC4D-9281D24CD359_zps2twljzww.jpg

Your groups show great improvement. I really don!t know what your goals are, but you are set up well enough for most big game hunting. You are doing great

Back