Rangefinders for 600 plus yards

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
I have a Bushnell 800 rangefinder. However, it will only range deer to maybe 400 yards and trees to 450, maybe 475 yards. I would like to buy a new rangefinder that will reliably range trees to at least 600-650 yards, but I would prefer not to have to spend the big $$ for the Leicas and Zeiss.

Does anyone have experience with a reasonably priced model from Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, etc that will fit my needs?

Sorry Jimbeuax,

Buy once cry once. Swaro all the way... Why, you wont find one that will do what you want any cheaper than the swaro or leica.... Bite the bullet man and save the pennies, you'll be happier in the long run...

Rod

Swaro Laser Guide 8x30.
It will be the last LRF you buy.

JD338

I have seen some great posts about the Leicas. Do you guys have actual experience comparing the Leicas to the Swaros?

FWIW - I will bite th ebullet just want to make sure I get the right one this time.

I have lasered tree lines over 1800 yds which is over a mile with repeatability. Game animals over 600 yds with repeatability.
IMHO, the Swaro is the best on the market!

JD338

I know they are a terrible amount of money, but the other guys are right, just buy the Swarovski and have the best.

I tried several cheaper range finders and they just did not work at anything over 400 yards. Well heck, out to 400 yards how bad do you need a range finder?

I find my Swarovski to be the best thing I have ever tried. I spent enough money on the cheap ones that I could have bought a Swarovski to start with.

I go antelope hunting nearly every fall. Out there on the pairie you cannot just range a bush or tree close to the animal if the rangefinder will not register on hair. There is nothing else out there to measure. I have successfully ranged antelope at over 1500 yards with the Swaro unit. Sure, I have no intention of shooting that far, but it is great to know just how far that buck is.

Same thing with binoculars, I spent so darned much money on cheaper models that I should have just bought the Swarovski to start with. I understand that this is not always possible with the high price of Swarovski, but if you can swing it, go for it!

+1 for swarovski. Ranging distance much farther than I can shoot. What I really like is the optical quality is so good you can almost see in the dark. My old nikon range finder light gathering was crap.

My first LRF was a Bushnell Scout. I used it mostly for bow hunting where it was fine but wasn't any good for distance. I wanted to get something for long range and my research turned up the Swaro Laser Guide. I spent more money than I wanted but in the end, I am very happy with my investment.
I would say save up for it and then you will be set for life.

JD338

My 1 was the Bushnell scout also. Was rated good to 700 yds. No way ever would it even come close.
My 2nd was a Bushnell Compact 800, now this one is rocking compared to the Scout. I got this one 2nd hand so I dont know its history, but its night and day compared the scout. The Compact 800 is not at all compact. You hold it horizontal like binos, its easily twice the size of the scout. The one thing that always made me wonder about it was that when you range something you can actually hear it working. Always wondered if the high end ones did this. I have actually ranged large reflective targets past the rated 800yds. I am actually really happy with the C800. My scout is from 03 and the C800 from 01.

Just bought a used Leica CRF 1200 on ebay for $400. Will be a while before I get my hands on it but I will submit a test report when I do.

Another poster in a different post stated that with the Leica he routinely ranges horses at over 1000 yards so this one should meet my 600-700 yard requirement for trees or deer.

It sounds as if you found a good deal. The Leica has excellent optics, and undoubtedly we'll appreciate your input once you have them in hand. I have a Leica 10 X 42 Geovid coming this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to provide some input with them. Those I have looked at had excellent optics and the ranging to 1250 meters was excellent and precise. http://www.chuckhawks.com/leica_10x42_RF_binoculars.htm

I have the leica. But, it does not always work, which is very frustrating as it was not very cheap. Wish that I bought the swaro on this purchase.
Hardpan

Swarovski Laserguide is the one of the best one out there for the money.

Picture175-5.jpg

Hardpan,

can you explain the statement that it does not always work?? What is the maximum range that it will reliably range a tree or animal?

Thanks

I've used a Leica 1200 for a long time now and have had nothing but satisfaction with it. I carry it on my belt left side and have on one occasion fell and rolled over it. In that case it was llike a timex watch, took a licking and kept on ticking. I've ranged up to 900 yards and because of it's weight and size I don't know I'm wearing it. Really like it. :grin:

That is great to hear. I would have hate to have the Leica not perform. Most posts and reviews of it are very good.

I have an older Leica LRF 1200... it has always worked like a champ... seen it range beyond 1200... but under normal conditions it will range pretty much everything out to 1k+. Ranged (and then shot) a coyote at 943 yards last month... and that was in the snow. Only the Leica and the Swaro can handle that... and the Leica is about $500-$600 cheaper.

Just for the heck of it, I sent an e-mail to Leupold about their rangefinders and this is the reply I got back

Our RX-IV rangefinder has a the fartherest ranging.
1500 yards on reflective targets
800 yards on trees
700 yards on deer

To Songdog - Ranged (and then shot) a coyote at 943 yards last month.

Impressive Obiwan, impressive!!! :shock:

Back