Rank em'

If you had to pick one mfg who's your favorite and why?

• Lyman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RCBS

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Hornady

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Lee

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Redding

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Other.....explain

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
In the list of brand names, I have used different products from different manufacturers such as a hand primer by RCBS which I've used for the last 20 years, the green loading trays which I started with, old RCBS press that I started reloading with, RCBS Case Prep station, and a ChargeMaster powder dispenser to Redding dies and a Redding Big Boss press, to Hornady's Lock N Load comparator and inserts. There are too much to list, certain tools from different manufacturers have served me well, so I can't choose which is better than the other. Redding dies and press is what I use mostly currently.

In the list of brand names, I have used different products from different manufacturers such as a hand primer by RCBS which I've used for the last 20 years, the green loading trays which I started with, old RCBS press that I started reloading with, RCBS Case Prep station, and a ChargeMaster powder dispenser to Redding dies and a Redding Big Boss press, to Hornady's Lock N Load comparator and inserts. There are too much to list, certain tools from different manufacturers have served me well, so I can't choose which is better than the other. Redding dies and press is what I use mostly currently.

One reason I made this thread was for things like you listed and if some people wanted to learn about them. Some stuff peoplr don't even know exist.

That said I've been wanting to ask someone with experience about the Hornady Lock N Load comparator.
Tell me your thoughts on that...

Thx

One reason I made this thread was for things like you listed and if some people wanted to learn about them. Some stuff peoplr don't even know exist.

That said I've been wanting to ask someone with experience about the Hornady Lock N Load comparator.

Thx
When I purchased the headspace and comparator tool, my reloads were more consistent and accurate. While setting up new dies or adjusting dies, I was not able to determine the headspace without the Lock N Load headspace tool. It's really helpful if you want to set them up properly and bump the minimum it requires which is .001-.003" without stretching your cases too much or camming over where some folks uses to determine bump by chambering sized cases by itself to check for galling. I normally bump them .001" to .002" . Before I came across the Lock N Load headspace tool, I used to have some cases that would chamber more tighter than just a snug. After using the tool and annealing after every firing or two, I never had any of those issues anymore. Before I even had that tool, I used to bump shoulders by camming over or chamber the sized case until it stops galling which will ruin your lugs over a long period of time.
The Lock N Load Comparator tool helped me check for distance to the lands if I wanted to test a bullet, I start at .010" off and adjust longer or shorter from there to finalize. Before I had that tool, I would color the ogive with a Sharpie and chamber them until I see rifling marks on the bullet, and back off about .020" which is not an exact measurement in my book today. I like to make sure on exact measurements to measure the bullet from the ogive to the lands and with very minimum variation. The tool helps me monitor the OAL of my bullets which provides more precision handloads into better groups at the range. The tool rocks and I recommend it.

Thx
1673191296622.png

This is my favorite powder dispenser stand. It's a Lee and it's heavy so you can move it around without having to bolt it to the bench so it's mobile for someone with a smaller loading bench.

View attachment 18759

This is my favorite powder dispenser stand. It's a Lee and it's heavy so you can move it around without having to bolt it to the bench so it's mobile for someone with a smaller loading bench.

That definitely has it's place and a nifty idea.

I just got a much taller stand so I can drain the hopper into every poweder tub out there ( looking at you alliant 🤬

20230106_211508.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a bunch of gear over the years, but most of it has been Hornady. Most of the big hook and bullet stores in AK have a metric crap ton of Hornady equipment in stock.

I've used a bunch of gear over the years, but most of it has been Hornady. Most of the big hook and bullet stores in AK have a metric crap ton of Hornady equipment in stock.
Hornady is like Lee , they offer a lot and do fit and finish a lot better.

Back