Ranking the Levers

I have an old WIN 1892 in 44WCF (44-40) octagon barrel , she isn't the most powerful or accurate old girl with the buckhorn sight but it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,892
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,892
I have a couple Marlin 375s and a W94 in 375. Really liking the 375, just hard to find components.

Recently bought a nice older Marlin in 30/30 (pre-safety) would be great if it were a 35 Rem.

You know - I think it depends on what someone wants out of the lever action.

Nostalgia? A trip down memory lane to the old cowboy shows & movies? History?

Maybe someone wants a handy, fast-firing rifle for modest range hunting? Power is more than adequate with many traditional lever-action rifles, at appropriate ranges.

I love the levers, and like them for what they are. They're just different from the usual bolt action hunting rifles. I like that.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

I have five different lever action rifles and use one 99% of the time. The winchester Model 71, 348. The only time i I do not use the 348, is when I hunt goat, sheep and elk and then I use the winchester model 70 300 H &H. I have not owned or shot the number of rifles you fellows have shot but I have currently a dozen rifles and have shot possibly another dozen different rifles owned by others. And all joking aside I have never experienced two smoother chambering rifles than the model 71 348 and model 70 300 H & H. If I was told I could only have these two rifles, I could live with that.

Fotis, April, I had the opportunity to use the Finnwolf when I was visiting in Alaska and they are nice rifles.

Gil, Dr Mike, thank you for your answers in regards to the 1895

Earle, if you ever want to try for a coyote art 500 yards, try using a 300 H & H lol

Has anyone here ever explained to Scotty that the Whelen's which he loves are 30-06 off springs LOL

yukon huntress":1ypveyip said:
Has anyone here ever explained to Scotty that the Whelen's which he loves are 30-06 off springs LOL

Yep, without the .30-06 there would be no .35 Whelen, or .270 for that matter.

Nudge, nudge...

Dale

yukon huntress":2hdzieis said:
Guy,

I have five different lever action rifles and use one 99% of the time. The winchester Model 71, 348. The only time i I do not use the 348, is when I hunt goat, sheep and elk and then I use the winchester model 70 300 H &H. I have not owned or shot the number of rifles you fellows have shot but I have currently a dozen rifles and have shot possibly another dozen different rifles owned by others. And all joking aside I have never experienced two smoother chambering rifles than the model 71 348 and model 70 300 H & H. If I was told I could only have these two rifles, I could live with that.

Fotis, April, I had the opportunity to use the Finnwolf when I was visiting in Alaska and they are nice rifles.

Gil, Dr Mike, thank you for your answers in regards to the 1895

Earle, if you ever want to try for a coyote art 500 yards, try using a 300 H & H lol

You have only a dozen rifles... You poor deprived child... :roll: I don't know that you could come up with a better battery than your .348 and the .300 H&H for North America...

Regards, Guy

Lever guns were by far the most popular guns around here , when I was a youngin, the 1894 Winchester being the # 1 choice because of its lightweight and even more so its balance point. The 1892 is probably the slickest little fun to carry gun ever built! Unfortunately It was just offered in pistol cartridges.[The .218 Bee; that Blkram was referencing: was on that same action, but was actually a pistol griped version called the model 65] Of course the 1886 Win was the original "guide gun" around here in my Grandfathers day; and considered another brilliant John Browning design. The model 71 Cheyenne cherishes so much , were extremely popular in Alaska and rightly so the .348 proved to be a very capable hombre! As for the Savages , they were sorta ahead of their time in calibers that shot much flatter than anything the rest had to offer, I had a .358W Model 99 for years that was my go to gun, for tracking deer, with a reciever sight it was fast and deadly and being a late 50's featherweight, a dream to carry all day. It proved over the years To be equally wonderful medicine, on ugly Black Bears and Bull Moose as well, So if I had to pick one for everything; a Savage 99, would still be my favorite lever.
I picked up an 1895 Winchester PG Deluxe one time to restore, and it was in the now forgotten 35 Winchester caliber that is basically Teddy Roosevelt's old .405 Big Medicine, necked down to shoot .358 bullets, it was fun to play with, but very heavy, with odd balance point, and really did NOTHING a .358 Savage didn't do better. Lately lots of snowy days, trying to track a buck , when I have to keep cleaning my scope constantly; I wish I had it back!
And last but not least, even though Hollywood made the Winchesters famous, the real unsung hero was the Marlin rifle, the flat top design really ahead of the Winchesters in everyway, it takes a model 1892 /86 Win , four times as many moving internal parts to do the same thing John Marlins super simple , 93/94/95's have?? Again ahead of its time. But it simply flat out amazes
Me something you never hear mentioned when folks compare Marlins to Winchesters, is that back at the turn of the century when a Marlin 93 vs a Winchester 94 cost exactly the same money $16.50, One of Marlins big selling points; was the simple fact:
You could remove ONE screw; from the finger lever, thus allowing it to be pulled down out of the bottom of the bolt, then simply pull the bolt out over the hammer, and you could then clean your rifle CORRECTLY, from the breach end ???[bore sight?] How this got lost along the way I do not know??? It is one of the nicest virtues of a Marlin rifle but only about 1% of guys that own them, realize that the gun has that feature??? I have restored alot of pre 1930 Marlins because we had a nitche with Marlin collectors, with our case colors, it always amazed me when I would mention it to them about cleaning the gun correctly and 99% of the time their response was "really??" :oops:
Here is a big 242 lb field dressed, Northern Whitetail that I tracked down with a Savage 1899, if you look closely , I had case colored the receiver, and the wood was some 3X with a checkpiece, I got from Fajen, the checkering was 20lpi with a ribbon thru the pattern, then checked the side plates in 24 lpi. Note fold down Lyman peep sight. Sorta snappy looking 99?
Isn't a bad lookin buck either!

Shot my friends Win model 71. Very nice lever gun, fun to shoot, accurate, good power and not bad recoil. I tried to get my daughter to shoot it, but she was happy with her .22.

I believe my friend said his Dad bought it new in 1936.

90e35a27-2cdc-4120-9c22-e3a7604d1709_zpsvmrlq1x1.jpg

Afg270,
Be careful about disclosing the actual location of that nice old original 71 on here, there is a black ops group that lurks on here
That will send in a team to try and secure it for high profile Canadian Guide that frequents this site, they hunt exclusively with
71's and prefer originals. This is a well know fact in the North Country, and they go by the code name of "YH"............
Tell your buddy to keep it locked down for the next couple of years.....................

AFG 270

would you be so kind as to move the gun to the left about a foot, so that the license number of the truck also shows in the picture and post that picture here, thank you

Please ignore the insinuation's made by my good friends Earle and Dr Mike, they are old an do not know of what they say sometimes, but I love them anyway, old men, old friends, old guns, old scotch, some things get better with age

My stars! Was I just slandered? Did she call me "old?" My dear, I've got time left before I shuffle off this terrestrial sphere!

DrMike":1egib53p said:
My stars! Was I just slandered? Did she call me "old?" My dear, I've got time left before I shuffle off this terrestrial sphere!

I certainly hope so and if my prayers are answered you will be

at work Dr Mike and should not have even made these post, BUT, a 71 to me is like honey to a bee (-: catch up to you later

thMLHX047F.jpg
LoL,
Well when I was in my 30's I never realized that 50ish was old !!! Guess I need to revaluate all that, and what is really relevant! As I am guessing if one was 70 ish then 50ish would still seam like a whippersnapper? Don't know what you would call them if your were fourtyish?? Over the hill ??? old fogie?? Or just "has been" ???
Getting "long in the tooth" ???? Geratol bound?? ready for the rockin chair ??? Don't cut the mustard anymore............ seen better days???
Ah to be a youngin again! LoL :lol:
How old is this fella YH ??? Is he old??clint-walker.jpg

Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. I have several of them, and took a nice doe with my primary one this past season. They are really quite accurate, respond well to a new trigger, and can be a LOT of fun to shoot. That's why I ended up buying more than I need.

I'll need to pare down what I own, so if anyone wants one as a project rifle or truck gun, let me know. :wink:

Like my 348 also

Attachments

• pix187395204.jpg
    pix187395204.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,333
35 Whelen":147g0eyq said:
Afg270,
Be careful about disclosing the actual location of that nice old original 71 on here, there is a black ops group that lurks on here
That will send in a team to try and secure it for high profile Canadian Guide that frequents this site, they hunt exclusively with
71's and prefer originals. This is a well know fact in the North Country, and they go by the code name of "YH"............
Tell your buddy to keep it locked down for the next couple of years.....................

LOL, yeah I tried to slip this model 71 into my gun case by accident, but my friend was watching it like a hawk.

35 Whelen, DrMike and yukon huntress, I just read these posts to my wife and we had a good laugh. Thank you all, we have been through so hard times in the last few months and needed a good laugh.

AFG270

I am sorry you have had to live through some tough times, hope things are better for you and your wife real soon.

Earle, I had already seen that picture, but when it was sent to me, Dr Mike said it was a picture of him when he was in his thirties and forties. Who is this fellow Clint who is putting his name on a picture of Dr Mike ?

Fotis, nice rifle, since it is still in the box, did you just get it ? Do you like it as well as the Finnwolf ?

Thank you for defending me, Cheyenne. I never meant that picture to be disseminated so widely and to such an unappreciative audience.

Back