RCBS Chargemaster

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Natchez had them on sale, so I ordered one and am about to FINALLY enter the era of using an electronic powder measure/scale.

Goodness. This ought to be fun! (y)

Guy

I purchased one about 20 years ago. I debated the purchase for quite a while in my mind before pulling the trigger because it was going to set me back about $375 or more at the local Gander Mountain. I've never regretted it. The programming of the unit was a bit tedious and for those that reload a bunch then set it aside and shoot for a year or so before reloading again, you need to reference the instruction manuals when you get back into the practice. But once I gained confidence in the equipment and trusted its accuracy. Reloading became much quicker and easier.

I'll push the button to dispense a charge, then go back to seating the bullet on the prior cartridge. By the time the seating job is completed, the new charge is waiting in the pan to be poured into the next, waiting cartridge. It saves much time. and I've not noticed any accuracy issues in the ammo built.

In the older units there was an issue about fluorescent lighting affecting the scale and I must occasionally re-calibrate the scale and re-zero the scale. But I'd be doing that several times a session anyway just to make certain of the accuracy of the equipment remains as precise as possible. But I'll soon be installing LED lighting in the loading area to [hopefully] eliminate this issue.

Overall, I'm impressed by the new technology and the convenience it offers the reloader. It's far quicker that weighing each load on a balance scale.

The current equipment offers several features the were not available on the initial units. You can program favorite charges and they'll be remembered by the machine and the calibration of the machine each time a new powder is selected is now eliminated I think. So they're quite a bit more user friendly today than the old stuff from long ago.

Enjoy your new toy. It's still a bit pricey, but well worth the investment as it streamlines the loading process and makes it far more efficient. Have fun!

The best purchase for reloading Ive ever made. I had the scale quit after 15 years, found one on eBay for $50, up and going again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy. you'll love it. It takes all the hassle out of loading those powders with log type kernals such as 4831. Not sure anymore how long I've had mine but if it died tomorrow morning I'd darn well have another my late afternoon.
Paul B.

Love my Chargemaster. It does the job, and with aplomb. Good purchase on your part.

I love mine. As someone stated, it's especially good when using stick powder. There are a couple of small tweaks you'll probably want to make; I'll try to find the links and post them.

Here's a video showing the mods. On the straw trick, I don't find it necessary or desirable to have the straw go all the way up into the dispense tube the way he does. I cut my straw to about 1.5-2.0" long, cut the notches in the end, and just leave the notched part sticking out a bit. Those notches help the powder kernels to drop more reliably.

Changing the speed settings is just a way to reprogram the machine to get to the desired charge faster. The machine has 3 settings; unless you are only throwing a small charge (less than 20 grains, I think), it will start off in high speed, then will shift down to medium speed when you are within X grains of your desired charge, and then shift down to slow/trickle speed when you are within Y grains of your desired charge. The speed modifications basically move those shift points so that it changes speeds closer to your desired charge. It does speed things up, and the accuracy of the thrown charge didn't seem to change for the worst on mine. I can't remember if I used the settings this guy recommended or if I varied them a bit, I'd have to check. But here's the video.

https://youtu.be/VuGfuCR9RJo

I've had a ChargeMaster for many years. The only downside I noticed is in getting it repaired when needed. RCBS will take care of the unit for the first year. After that they do not repair them. I had to go to an outside 3rd party to have my unit "overhauled", which means they'll fix everything or anything for the overhaul price. It wasn't cheap but it was less expensive then buying a new unit.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was highly recommended and when Natchez was selling them at a big discount, ($289.99) I went ahead and made the purchase. It should be here in a couple of days.

Really looking forward to this. I've been using the same RCBS powder scale & measure for 30+ years. In recent years added a little Lyman 55 powder measure which has been worthwhile. But I think it's time to change up. :)

Guy

Guy until you get used to using it you might want to double check you charges on the beam scale.

I have used the ISD Smart Reloader for quite a few years now. It was cheap, at around 160 bucks or something when I got it, but so far it has been excellent. If it died tomorrow I'd replace it right away though, it is just too darned handy for load work.

Good luck with the new toy Guy.. I love mine, calibrate it each time I turn it on. One hint, and do not ask how I learned this, when putting the unit away, empty the powder reservoir and CLOSE THE GATE IMMEDIATELY If it is inadvertently left open you may end up with powder all over the next time you go to use the Chargemaster.
To help remember this I have taped a note to myself on the outside of the cylinder.

My first was a 2-pc Pact scale and measure, which I still have. Then I purchased a ChargeMaster Lite which is faster. I sure you will love your ChargeMaster. Check RCBS online and see if they are still offering the rebates.

Rol_P":y46hwvdz said:
Good luck with the new toy Guy.. I love mine, calibrate it each time I turn it on. One hint, and do not ask how I learned this, when putting the unit away, empty the powder reservoir and CLOSE THE GATE IMMEDIATELY If it is inadvertently left open you may end up with powder all over the next time you go to use the Chargemaster.
To help remember this I have taped a note to myself on the outside of the cylinder.

Haha!! I did the exact same thing once.. But not surprising considering I also once started pouring fresh oil in a motor with the drain plug still out...
:roll: :lol:

I've heard that a straw from McDonalds is the proper size. Not sure and the ones I got do not give the snug fit he spoke of. I've never change the working speed from the factory setting as it's fast enough for me as is. Some people have commented that it doesn't wrk all that well with ball powders but I haven't had any problems with W760. W748 is a little finer grained which may cause problems but I haven't used it in my Chargemaster.
Paul B.

I love the Chargemaster , started using it 2 years ago, then final weight on the FX-120. You will love your Chargemaster Guy. (y)

FAHssfOl.jpg

So far, I like it! (y)

Looks good Guy.. they are handy for load work and getting prep done. Plus, just having the digital scale there is a nice feature as well.

Excellent design and great practical tool for the hand-loader. You've done well, Guy.

Back