RCBS RASS Bench

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
I am hoping to get a RASS bench for father's day. The reviews that I have seen thus far have been pretty good. Has anyone out there used one? I want one for trajectory verification. The place where I shoot for distance is very dry and dusty when it is not the dead of winter. I have tried to shoot prone while using a tarp etc. but everything on the ground still gets very dusty. I like the fact that the legs are adjustable for uneven terrain. Any insight would be appreciated.

I received the RASS Bench for father's day but did not get to use it till the end of September.

The "bench" is fairly sturdy and well built.

It is heavy and not something that I would want to pack around too far at about 80 lbs.

On the horizontal, the system will spin 360 degrees and there is 20 degrees of vertical adjustment by simply depressing a lever that is conveniently located next to the piston under the rest.

There are significant adjustments that will help accommodate a short person or a very tall person. I am 6' 5" and felt very comfortable while shooting. I also had my wife (5' 5") sit at the bench to get a feel and she too liked it.

My only complaint is that once you depress the lever that controls the vertical tilt and then release it the rest settles downward a small amount and can take a person off target. I "fixed" this by releasing the lever at a point slightly above the bulls eye so that the rest would settle on the spot that I wanted to shoot.

The rest is not as stable as shooting off of a Bulls Bag etc., but I did not have to lay down in the dirt/dust. Overall I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

That sounds like a fair evaluation. Thanks for following up on your initial post.

Back