Ready for Deer Season

M7025-06

Beginner
Jun 28, 2014
Last trip to the range before November firearm opens the 14th. I'd say the 280 is ready to go.

139 gr Hornady BTSP
57.0 gr IMR-4451
1-fired Norma brass
3075 fps over the MagnetoSpeed

7793dd6ea129225e2b4586bdce3e49d3.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Nice! Good results out at 200 yds!

You've used that bullet on deer before? I'd think it would be a good one.

Guy

Guy Miner":20am7kgm said:
Nice! Good results out at 200 yds!

You've used that bullet on deer before? I'd think it would be a good one.

Guy
I haven't but I'm hoping it does the job.

I haven't used a lot of Hornady hunting bullets - but they've got a good reputation.

Guy

I've used Accubonds the last couple of years with no complaints. I tried the Hornadys on a whim and they've been shooting better than the AB's so I decided to give em go this year.

I used to use 150, 165 and 180 grain Hornady bullets off and on out of my .30-06 - they are an EXCELLENT deer bullet.

The 165 and 180 grain bullets shot the straightest in my gun and I only ever recovered one Hornady bullet in a deer. All the others were in and out.

This .280 load of yours should be dynamite on deer.

Good luck -

Dale

Looks good! That should nicely get the job done! I couldn't get Hornady bullets to shoot in my 280.

One of my favourite loads in my Model 70 .280 has been the 139 grain Hornady SP. It has accounted for a goodly number of deer over the years. I never used that particular bullet on elk, but I had little concern that if I did my part it would work well should the need arise.

Those are great results.

I used the Hornady Light Magnum loads one year in a 7mm-08. The Hornady interlock bullets worked just fine.

Nice shooting!, should be a fine deer bullet. I don't currently shoot any Hornady bullets but I killed countless deer here in NC with the 30.06 and the plain jane Hornady 130gr SP. I only recovered one bullet out of all the deer that I harvested with that bullet and it was lodged in the skin on the exit side and a nice mushroom.

Great load! I used the Hornady 139SP over 55gr IMR 4831 ( my first ever handload ) in my first ever .280 Remington, way back in '77! Your load was faster than mine, and I popped a fat 7ptr at 276 big steps with it! Seems like I read somewhere that the 139 Boat Tail was designed for the faster velocities. I don't know, but you just can't find bad reviews on them from those who kill deer/hogs with them. Have a ball!

I used the 139 gr btsp for years in my 280 without problem. Only switched to Sierra or Noslers because they were slightly more accurate in my gun.

Thanks for info fellas. I'm looking forward to see what this bullet can do if I'm lucky enough to get to pull the trigger.

Great shooting.
I think you are set, just bring a sharp knife.

JD338

Back