Ready to up grade scope on 270win

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I finally desided its time to up grade from a 16 year old VX2 2-7x33mm to a new VX3 2.5-8x36mm. The VX2 will go to my scope less 35 Whelen which should be a good fit. Its VX3 1.5-5x20mm went to my 700/358win when it was built.

Surpised Cabelas does not carry it. I will check with my local gun shop before ordering one from Midway. I would have loved to get one on sale the VX3 1.5-5 is $299 right now.

It's a really good scope. I have one on my Kimber 308. Good glass and light weight, what's not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is one of my favorite scopes. You will be very happy with
the size, weight and performance.

JD338

JD338":3dsssmnm said:
The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is one of my favorite scopes. You will be very happy with
the size, weight and performance.

JD338
I will second that. I have one on my 375 Ruger Guide Gun and love it. Have it installed with Alaskan Arms quick detach rings sighted in at 200yds. with the 300gr. AccuBond load. Thinking about getting the Leupold VX3 1.5-5 x 20mm with the heavy duplex with another set of Alaskan Arms quick detach rings for the Woodleigh 350gr. load then sight that dead on at 100yds.

I did order a VX3i-2.5-8x36mm so my oridginal plan is still working. Desided to also get the VX3 1.5-5x20mm for the sale price of $299. Gone same as the old VX3 2.5-8. Wish I was a week earlier. But the new VX3i will be nice. My whelen is a 7600 and the 20mm just looks better on it but the VX2 2-7x33mm will fit that cartridge just fine and I still have my 358win with the VX3 1.5-5x20mm. Taxe return should not be long a VX2 3-9 EFR just might be in order for my 77/22lr the VX2 2-7x28mm is too short for it, I had to use a reverse front ring. I have a EFR on my CZ527 22-hornet and love it.

One thing about a quality scope is they are eazy to sell.

300 H&H, If I only had one rifle to hunt say MI & ONT mainly deer bear. It could be 21" barreled bolt in 308win. But it would have QD rings and two scopes. A VX3i 1.5-5 for close up in thick cover 10-30 yards but will handle 250 if needed. And a VX3i 2.5-8 for say 100 yards and further in more open terrain.

300 H&H,
I have the Heavy German #4 crosshair in my Leupold VX 2 on my 35 Whelen, and it is the fastest reticle imagine able, It would be the absolute perfect one in a VX 3 1.5x5 on a charging brownie! Have shot a couple of whitetails running hard broadside with it ,and its as good as a reciever sight for ultra fast target acquisition.

35 Whelen":35pvytum said:
300 H&H,
I have the Heavy German #4 crosshair in my New VX 2 on my 35 Whelen, and it is the fastest reticle imagine able, would be the absolute perfect one in a VX 3 1.5x5 on a charging brownie! Have shot a couple of whitetails running hard broadside with it ,and its as good as a reciever sight for ultra fast target acquisition.
35 Whelen, I thought about that, I need to look at one through eye before getting it. By Leupold's website on German #4 reticle looks like the heavy posts are wider apart in the picture and the finer cross hair wider overall. Do you find this true? I was wondering would this work in low light in very heavy condition? I was looking at their Post Duplex reticle, but don't know if the main reticle is the same as the duplex or heavy duplex reticle. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

If you want a true #4 that will be useable for bracketing an animal Leupolds Post and Duplex is VERY good. It's thick in the bars and they come close to the center. The #4's in my VX6 and VXR aren't really useful for that but they are illuminated so I'm not sweating it much.

SJB358":1bnwpvxr said:
If you want a true #4 that will be useable for bracketing an animal Leupolds Post and Duplex is VERY good. It's thick in the bars and they come close to the center. The #4's in my VX6 and VXR aren't really useful for that but they are illuminated so I'm not sweating it much.
Thanks SJB358!

tjen":2gusb1jb said:
300 H&H, If I only had one rifle to hunt say MI & ONT mainly deer bear. It could be 21" barreled bolt in 308win. But it would have QD rings and two scopes. A VX3i 1.5-5 for close up in thick cover 10-30 yards but will handle 250 if needed. And a VX3i 2.5-8 for say 100 yards and further in more open terrain.

FWIW, my 700 Classic 35 Whelen wears a VX III 2.5-8x36mm and has taken quite a few WT bucks in the MI cedar swamps. Set on 2.5-3x, its been perfect for heavy cover hunting.

JD338

"35 Whelen, I thought about that, I need to look at one through eye before getting it. By Leupold's website on German #4 reticle looks like the heavy posts are wider apart in the picture and the finer cross hair wider overall. Do you find this true? I was wondering would this work in low light in very heavy condition? I was looking at their Post Duplex reticle, but don't know if the main reticle is the same as the duplex or heavy duplex reticle. Your opinion is greatly appreciated"

300 H&H!
Well hope this helps, The Heavy wires make up about 65% of the total width of the horizontal wire. The finer crosswires, appear to be approximately 6X/7x thinner than the heavy outside wires, the relationship is something like 2/3 heavy wire and 1/3 fine wires, to give you some idea how much that covers at 300 yds aiming the #4 reticle set at 9 power at a cow moose laying on the ice here behind the house it appears from her chest to her butt she doesn't quite fill the distance the fine wires cover in total, so I guess another way of saying that is the fine wire just about fills the distance of a 650 lb moose a 300 yds, as far as how this reticle stacks up against all these others I cant really comment , Germans think Americans are silly because the so called Duplex which is the top seller here in the USA, would be the absolute last choice in Europe................. I have shot big Whitetail deer with the #4 reticle when it was so dark everyone else had been out of the woods for 5 mins[still legal just tooo dark for most setups] when they heard the gun go off........ the finer wires had been gone for quite a while, however because you could still bracket him within the outta HEAVY wires , I was easily able to whack him by just centering him between the horizontal brackets. So for me I own 5 high power rifles, three of them have German #4 reticles, one has a Z600 [which is fantastic for shooting targets , but in my opinion probably one of the very poorest reticles for low light work]. And the new Windplex which I still know nothing about. 3 Zeiss, 2 Leupolds. For my money for quick shots and extreame low light work nothing beats a German #4 reticle. Your eye is somehow draw into the center much like a receiver sight works.
Benchrest guys and paper punchers do NOT like this reticle, and will all complain about the thickness of the finer wires, but for HUNTING and real world applications it is the top reticle in my book. When I came back home from Alaska , all the guides that worked here for us, shot Duplex reticles ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after watching us show up. with trophy bucks, after everyone had given up because they just couldn't see to shoot anymore. All our guides are now shooting #4 reticles. Maine bucks are notorious for not sticking their noses out; until the avg scope and crosshair combo is useless. So for us it gives us and edge.
If you were hunting out of a treehouse, or over baited deer, that will come out in broad daylight, it probably is NOT necessary to have a #4. If there is ANY chance you may need your rifle to save your life at dark, involving a charging Brown Bear, I would say it is an absolute essential part of anyones equipment. (y) JM2CW
PS. The #4 reticle in my Zeiss Conquests, the fine wire is noticeably finer than the Leupolds, the relationship of fine to heavy is about the same, if I were to comment on that I would say for a deer at 250 I prefer the Zeiss set up, for a Bear at 75 yds I like the Leupold better.
Hope this helps
Earle

35 Whelen":20mridbp said:
"35 Whelen, I thought about that, I need to look at one through eye before getting it. By Leupold's website on German #4 reticle looks like the heavy posts are wider apart in the picture and the finer cross hair wider overall. Do you find this true? I was wondering would this work in low light in very heavy condition? I was looking at their Post Duplex reticle, but don't know if the main reticle is the same as the duplex or heavy duplex reticle. Your opinion is greatly appreciated"

300 H&H!
Well hope this helps, The Heavy wires make up about 65% of the total width of the horizontal wire. The finer crosswires, appear to be approximately 6X/7x thinner than the heavy outside wires, the relationship is something like 2/3 heavy wire and 1/3 fine wires, to give you some idea how much that covers at 300 yds aiming the #4 reticle set at 9 power at a cow moose laying on the ice here behind the house it appears from her chest to her butt she doesn't quite fill the distance the fine wires cover in total, so I guess another way of saying that is the fine wire just about fills the distance of a 650 lb moose a 300 yds, as far as how this reticle stacks up against all these others I cant really comment , Germans think Americans are silly because the so called Duplex which is the top seller here in the USA, would be the absolute last choice in Europe................. I have shot big Whitetail deer with the #4 reticle when it was so dark everyone else had been out of the woods for 5 mins[still legal just tooo dark for most setups] when they heard the gun go off........ the finer wires had been gone for quite a while, however because you could still bracket him within the outta HEAVY wires , I was easily able to whack him by just centering him between the horizontal brackets. So for me I own 5 high power rifles, three of them have German #4 reticles, one has a Z600 [which is fantastic for shooting targets , but in my opinion probably one of the very poorest reticles for low light work]. And the new Windplex which I still know nothing about. 3 Zeiss, 2 Leupolds. For my money for quick shots and extreame low light work nothing beats a German #4 reticle. Your eye is somehow draw into the center much like a receiver sight works.
Benchrest guys and paper punchers do NOT like this reticle, and will all complain about the thickness of the finer wires, but for HUNTING and real world applications it is the top reticle in my book. When I came back home from Alaska , all the guides that worked here for us, shot Duplex reticles ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after watching us show up. with trophy bucks, after everyone had given up because they just couldn't see to shoot anymore. All our guides are now shooting #4 reticles. Maine bucks are notorious for not sticking their noses out; until the avg scope and crosshair combo is useless. So for us it gives us and edge.
If you were hunting out of a treehouse, or over baited deer, that will come out in broad daylight, it probably is NOT necessary to have a #4. If there is ANY chance you may need your rifle to save your life at dark, involving a charging Brown Bear, I would say it is an absolute essential part of anyones equipment. (y) JM2CW
PS. The #4 reticle in my Zeiss Conquests, the fine wire is noticeably finer than the Leupolds, the relationship of fine to heavy is about the same, if I were to comment on that I would say for a deer at 250 I prefer the Zeiss set up, for a Bear at 75 yds I like the Leupold better.
Hope this helps
Earle
Thanks 35 Whelen for your review on German #4 reticle!

Back