Realistic velocity gain? 280AI or 280 Sherman

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Curious. I know the Sherman holds a few more grains of powder. However,on a regular Mod 70 Long Action, in 7x57, the COAL is much less than a Mod 700 LA, fact. So limited to the magazine (SAAMI COAL of the Nosler AI) So, if one wanted to rebarrel to 24", have the standard magazine/bolt stop changed out, etc, anyone guess just how much more speed the Sherman would have over the NoslerAI? For me, if the gain was not more than 50fps it falls to the NoslerAI. BUT...if we are talking 100fps, well, that tickles my fancy! ha Anyone have a good idea of the gain, if any? Thanks guys.

I know if you go to Longrangehunting.com and do a search on the Sherman you can get all the info you want from the designer.

I've PM'd with Rich in the past with a few bullet questions I had . He makes his own bullets too . He is very knowledgeable , and just a great guy to talk with . I'm sure he will gladly answer any questions you would have on his Sherman cartridges . I remember the thread that he started on long range hunting where his idea of the first Sherman cartridge turned into a reality . it was very interesting watching this happen .

Gosh, I just found out that Wyatt makes an extended magazine box/bolt stop/follower for the Mod 70 LA. One can use a round out to 3.82"! Good to know...

Back