Really Old Noslers

G

Hello all,
Looking for some sound advise. Having moved several times some things stay buried awhile. I just uncovered two boxes, 50 bullets each of "Cal .30, Wt. 200, Soft Point Blunt Nose" Nosler Partitions. The retail sticker is for $6.30 per box!!! Bottom of the box code is " 2 6918". These are the Noslers that have the visable, slightly recessed band around the shank. Estimate that they were purchased late '60's, early 70's. I plan to load these in my Ruger #1 .30-06, 26 inch barrel. This should take care of the large end of the hunting spectrum with this rifle to a range of 225-250 yards max. As the number of bullets is obviously limited I need to develop a working load as efficiently as possible. Currently have in stock IMR 4350, 4831, and H414. Will purchase other powders if needed. Any hints or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
ShotPut

i would use the 4831 behind the 200gr partitions, with mag primers. this combo has taken several elk over the years. if you have the h4831sc, you can do a little more with it. my crono shows 2635fps out of a 24" barrel with the max load i worked up to for hunting.

I agree on the use of H4831 witih these mature bullets. I have approached 60 grains of it in the '06 made for hunting Montana in really cold temps. Really old Noslers came in paper bags from the original location on the south end of main drag out of Bend. Seconds of the 200 grainers in 30 cal looked really like seconds in the bag and with lots of cosmetic defects. I have some yet and they still work well on moose and yet also shoot very well in the accuracy department. Bullets in boxes must have come on within the last 40 years. He he.

Back