Recoil pads???

meatmachineman

Handloader
Jan 25, 2012
My son and I along with one of my friends went shooting some clays yesterday.... (I know its shotgun related, but we don't have a SG area here and figured this is general enough to fit in here). I recently picked up a Lefty 870 Express with a wood stock for my southpawed son. After several boxes of shells, he was getting pretty beat up. I told him we'd look for a Limbsaver when we got home. Turns out that Limbsaver doesn't offer a prefit option for a wood stocked Express. So I guess my question would be what next? I'm in uncharted territory beyond Limbsaver. I can get a prefit Remington Supercell, Pachmeyer Decelerator, and I have heard that Kickeez has an option, as well. If worse comes to worst, I can do a grind to fit Limbsaver, but would much rather go for the cleaner look of a prefit and save some hassle in the process.

I have both Kickeez and Decelerator pads on rifles I own. Each of these works very well to tame recoil. I wasn't even aware that Kickeez was still making recoil pads since I haven't seen any for some years. I would think you would be pleased with either of these products.

Limbsaver does appear to make a direct fit, item number 10100:
http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php#precision

If Remington sells one it will "probably" fit with no modifications, but check into details. They're usually quite soft, at least the R3 ones.

I find that the Pachmayr is a very nice pad.

The Limbsaver is softer than the Pachmayr by a bit, and a lot softer than a Kick-Eeze based on my observations at the SHOT show this year.

I would give the supercell a try. I have the supercell and limbersavers and they are both good pads, the supercell is really soft and soaks up the recoil very well, and I think they are only about 20 bucks.

Don't be surprised if a pre fit doesn't fit.
The best way is a grind to fit recoil pad.
The Pachmayr Decelerator pad is top notch in my bood. It took the beast out of my 338 RUM's recoil.

JD338

I agree. Get a grind to fit and know it will look great when your done with no misfitting of the Pre fit.

When I need to put a recoil pad on a rifle, I go with the Decelerator. I have one Limbsaver that came on a rifle I bought and it's dissolving into some kind of goo. it's tremporarily wrapped up in masking tape until I have time to put another pad on the gun. It will be a decelerator.
Paul B.

PJGunner":3qr9kzid said:
When I need to put a recoil pad on a rifle, I go with the Decelerator. I have one Limbsaver that came on a rifle I bought and it's dissolving into some kind of goo. it's tremporarily wrapped up in masking tape until I have time to put another pad on the gun. It will be a decelerator.
Paul B.

You should contact the company about that. I remember reading that was an issue for a while and maybe they will take care of you.

Corey

If I wasn't so lazy/cheap/worried about most likely non-existent collector value, I'd put Decelerators on everything.

The Pachmayr Decelerator pad is my favorite by far.

Where Fotis and I difer is in our respective pads, besides him being greek and me being Russian/Polish. :)

I opt for the Limbsaver even in a "grind to fit". All the pads mentioned have their followers and we may each like a different one for various reasons as it's all subjective.

The easiest fix would be to try lighter loads and fewer of them at one time. Also get one of those strap-on recoil "sissy pad" things to take some of the bite out. As far as putting on a new pad, grind-to-fit pads are the way to go. Watch out on Decelerator pads because it is easy to grind into the internal metal support plate and ruin everything. I've had the best luck with Hogue pads and can highly recommend them.

Back