Recoil...the worst?

The 870 rem with 3 1/2 goose loads.. Yep I did the same thing , wanted to pattern it. Only I was real dumb I got down prone with a bag up front, wanted to be nice and steady and centred on the cardboard . My collar bone aches just thinking about it.

Add another vote for a shotgun. My first firearm after a pellet gun was an H&R 12 gauge I bought from an uncle when I was 11 or 12. It was a lightweight break-action single with a hard plastic butt plate. I remember rolling up a sweatshirt and putting it between the butt and my shoulder to practice with 3" slugs before my first deer season.

Funny, I didn't feel the recoil at all on the deer I managed to get...

I agree with the 450 Marlin. In a Winchester 94 AE Timber. With the thin, hard rubber recoil pad and 22" barrel it slammed back and up. Bruised my shoulder and cheek pretty purple. I changed recoil pads and then it just slammed my cheek. It's recoil was fast due to it's light weight and short barrel. I have shot most of the american big bruisers up to the 460 Wby without a brake. The two hardest were the 450Marlin and the 30-378 unbraked because of the speed it comes back towards me. The scope was the major recoil pad of the 30-378. (It seemed to me) OW! :cry:

boomer68":3p10gisu said:
Worst I ever experienced was a Ruger #3 in .45/70
Kicked like a mule!

My godfather bought one of these a long time ago and immediately had it re-chambered to 45-120! Little bro shot it with 500gr handloads one day when he wanted a little ego boost...it surely didn't do the trick. He laughed when I didn't want to shoot it but I knew what it was capable of and didn't need to experience it first hand.

DeerTracker":saz8jbdb said:
boomer68":saz8jbdb said:
Worst I ever experienced was a Ruger #3 in .45/70
Kicked like a mule!

My godfather bought one of these a long time ago and immediately had it re-chambered to 45-120! Little bro shot it with 500gr handloads one day when he wanted a little ego boost...it surely didn't do the trick. He laughed when I didn't want to shoot it but I knew what it was capable of and didn't need to experience it first hand.

The wise man learns from observing the experiences of others. Good move, DT.

A Ruger 77 in .458 Win Mag, one of the old tang safety thin red recoil pad jobs shooting 510gr solids was very rough.

Probably the worst is my 24" nonported Mossberg 835 with 3.5" Winchester HV turkey loads. Why in the world I shoot something that recoils like an elephant rifle to kill a bird is beyond me.

Worst pain I've ever felt from a weapon was when I shot my brother in the butt with my Crossman 760 PowerMaster, 5 pumps I believe. Man, my father whipped my butt for what seemed like hours!

I always thought my .338RUM loaded with 250 grain bullets was a bear until I touched off my buddy's Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2 inch Federal duckloads. Boy did that get my attention.

big rifle man":gv22mpp4 said:
I always thought my .338RUM loaded with 250 grain bullets was a bear until I touched off my buddy's Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2 inch Federal duckloads. Boy did that get my attention.

Same here buddy. I spent the day with my 338, 45-70 and 444 Marlin, along with a few others. Before we got started, we cranked off some rounds loaded with 00 Buckshot out of our 3.5" magnums. My Lord, those things are BEAST's! I was looking forward to shooting my 45-70. They are incredible in the recoil department.

Back