Recommend a .257 Cal. bullet for a 1:14 twist (Slow Twist)

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Yes - I know, heavy for Caliber fast twist barrels are all the rage... not what my friend is looking for. I have some 75 gr V-max's that shoot well in the 250 at 1:10 twist, as do 100 gr BT's. May try both eventually but ones not built for deer/ antelope and the other is allegedly to heavy. I think there used to be an 85 Gr CT. but I haven seen them for years. I also have some old 90 gr Barnes "expanders" but those coppered my bore so bad I dont want to try them again. Thoughts- ideas? Thanks CL

These are for 1:14 twist

87gr Speer Hot-Cor would do the trick on deer and antelope.
Reviews on midway saying it shoots in a 1-14"

Nosler makes the 85 gr BT and along with the 100 gr PT would be your best bet for the slower twist.

JD338

JD and Guy, not to be disagreeable, but they wont work in the 14 twist. Or at least not very well. Too long. Nosler lists the bullet length under the specs on their site. Enter those lengths in any bullet stability calculator using a 14 twist and it doesn't come up with acceptable results even at optimistic speeds. I covered all those bases checking into everything for my old M1920 Savage with a 14 twist. Speer is about the only game in town in a standard C&C for those 14 twist barrels. The 87 works well, the 100 gr HC is the shortest C&C hunting bullet available in .257, and it's marginal in some 14 twist barrels.

On Nosler's old site before they changed it, they used to list the minimum twist need for each bullet under the spec tab. 10 twist was needed for their shortest .257 bullet if memory serves me correctly. I do know for sure my 14 twist was out of the loop for anything they had.

Thanks Guys- I have some 100 gr PT's and may try them, but as Shade's thoughts are what I had heard too. Ats why I'm askin'. Havent seen 85 or 87 Gr anything in .257 for years. Will keep looking. Wont be doin' reloading before spring any way. Got something new in the works, I'll share with you all later. CL

Shade Tree - good catch. I didn't realize that the 100's were too long. Phooey.

Guy

CL, message sent. I might have a small stash of a couple hundred 85 or 87 grain soft point, flat-base .257" bullets of unknown origin. I'll look. :)

ST
Thanks for the update. I never had to mess with a 1:14 twist. The 257 Roberts has a 1:10 twist so I didn't have to worry about bullet stability.
Glad you caught this.

JD338

The older 250 Savages were frequently 1:14 twist as I understand it. Dont know if that was because slower twists were more common in the early 1900's or just because the marketing guys wanted to hit 3,000 fps. It couldnt be done w/ 100 gr'ns bullets back then. As Ive read the original loadings were 87 gr so they could hit that mark. Its been written that Charles Newton designed the 250 with the 100 grain bullets in mind, the marketing guys got involved and pushed the 87's.

We shall see.... CL

Sierra makes an 87 grain flat base that was my grandad's favorite in a 25-06 for antelope and white tail. Slowed down in a 250 I would think it would work well. https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/25-caliber-87-gr-spt/

Finding some might be something else tho.

"The date of the cartridge’s introduction is generally given as 1915, but Savage historian David Royal uses 1914. According to Royal, Newton recommended a 100-grain bullet at a more sedate 2,800 fps. Recognizing the sizzle, Arthur Savage insisted on a light-for-caliber 87-grain bullet, which, with 1914 powders and pressures, was the only way the cartridge could reach 3,000 fps." https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/250-300-savage-history/454661

Looks like cast might be available for inexpensive shooting if you have primers etc.

Well, I did it again. This will probably get me kicked off the forum but.....

C'mon Nosler....want to buy from you.... but where are they? CL

100gr Nosler PAR or 100gr Swift A-Frame or Sirocco bullets. If using the Swift bullets seat them deep for best accuracy. Another to try would be 80gr TTSX Barnes and seat them deep

Midsouth has
25 Caliber .257 Diameter 90 Grain CX 50 Count
by Hornady

I don't know as it is non lead, if the length is short enough to stabilize tho.

Back