recommendations for rings and bases

onlybrowning

Beginner
Sep 16, 2007
I had a Leupold QR ring come loose yesterday at the range on my .325 WSM. I tighten the levers as much as I can by hand, and it still came loose.
I have had Leupold replace 5 of these bases for my Contenders that you could spin all the way around, and I have decided that they are great bases for light to moderate kickers.

What base and ring set would you recommend? I need something foolproof and strong.

To Leupold's defense, the product is very well made and does return to zero. I just think the big boomers are a little much for them.

onlybrowning":cb36aw0b said:
What base and ring set would you recommend? I need something foolproof and strong.

Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts. They won't move.

JD338

I had a set of Leupold Rings and bases on my 338UM and after having some issues I switched to Warne Bases and Rings. They are great and all problems have been eliminated.

JD338":tkn8csyn said:
onlybrowning":tkn8csyn said:

JD338

Yep couldn't agree more.

OU812":onm6zp4h said:
JD338":onm6zp4h said:
onlybrowning":onm6zp4h said:

JD338

Yep couldn't agree more.

I guess I knew that was coming. That is the setup I have on my .270 A bolt. I like the Talley setup as well. I don't enough about metal to say whether I want aluminum Talley 1 piece mounts and rings, or two piece steel dual dovetails. :oops:

I decided to use Talley bases and rings some years back, and I have not changed my mind. I have tried both steel and aluminum.

Recommended.

jim

I've tried just about every ring/base combo over the years. Most have worked adequately.

While I tend to prefer HD tactical style rings & bases you just can't beat the Burris Signature rings for durability, practicality and price. The added ability to use off-set rings when needed or wanted can't be over looked. Another great feature is that they absolutely do not leave ring marks on your scope or bind scope tubes if properly installed. No ring lapping needed ever.

For the average shooter/hunter, the Burris Signature rings are hard to beat.

And No - I don't work there or have stock in the company. :lol:

Back