Recommendations on best way to sell a gun collection

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
Looking for some feedback from those here who buy/sell firearms regularly. I've got a buddy that was recently diagnosed terminal, and he's going to start parting with stuff in an effort to help his financial state for the time he has left. One of the things going on the block is his gun collection -- he's been a lot better about buying over the years than selling, and I believe he's probably amassed 20+ rifles, shotguns, and pistols. He's a former guide, has acquired a little bit of everything, and some of the stuff is going to be well used and some hardly at all. I don't think he's got the energy and interest to handle each item separately via internet sale, but he also doesn't want to recoup only a fraction of the guns' worth. I don't do much buying or selling, so am looking for suggestions on behalf of a friend on the coastal area of Washington State on how to do this, or recommendations of a good gun dealer that would treat him fairly? Thanks in advance.

The first thing that I would do is to get them appraised and the second would be to sell them individually or through a gun auction house. If you try to sell to one of the big sporting goods retailers you will most likely only receive about 40% of what they are worth. That is just my two cents on the subject.

The first thing that I would do is to get them appraised and the second would be to sell them individually or through a gun auction house. If you try to sell to one of the big sporting goods retailers you will most likely only receive about 40% of what they are worth. That is just my two cents on the subject.

Yep. Don't know the circumstances in that area but around here if I wasn't going to sell individually, there's any number of auctioneer's that among their other auctions, hold firearm sales regularly. Advertise them on the internet and in the papers so do all the work for you up front. Firearms at a public sale generally bring top dollar in today's world, So around here you would start at top dollar realized, then pay the 10% or whatever that particular auctioneer charges. Way better than taking the 50% hosing most shops would offer.

I'm saying that though with the realization that I live in an area with a lot of avid gun buyers. As well as Amish, and they will pay top dollar for rifles as it allows them to buy without government intrusion and paperwork.

I’d look for a auction service as mentioned and let them deal with the headache of paperwork. Auctions usually bring premium prices in my area.

Don't be afraid to look at past auction sales from any service that you use. You might see that some services do much better than others.
Also, pay attention to the percentage that they take from the sale, as well as other fees.

well until they are lost in a boating accident next week, my 40 some will be willed to folks who will use them, a few customs will be sold by my daughter with advise from an expert on what they are worth.

Back