Redding die question

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I'm thinking of buying a set of Redding dies, the Type S Bushing Neck sizer 3-Die set to be exact. I'll be loading for .308 Win and was wondering which bushing size that I would need because there's alot of sizes offered. Should I get several different sizes for different neck tensions, or is there any need?

Also, are the Redding dies worth the extra $$$? I've been using RCBS dies and have never used a bushing-style die, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you should call Redding directly. They are a great company and have very knowledgeable people on call.

bteate":l147oy7x said:
I'm thinking of buying a set of Redding dies, the Type S Bushing Neck sizer 3-Die set to be exact. I'll be loading for .308 Win and was wondering which bushing size that I would need because there's alot of sizes offered. Should I get several different sizes for different neck tensions, or is there any need?

Also, are the Redding dies worth the extra $$$? I've been using RCBS dies and have never used a bushing-style die, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Take your loaded round neck diameter and subtract .002"-.003" and you will have the proper neck bushing size. If you use different brass than you "may" need another bushing to accomodate a thicker/thinner neck wall.

I have many Redding dies sets including several S series dies. IMO you are better off with the FL S type dies. This will allow you to resize the case just enough to chamber properly after each firing while letting you adjust neck tension to any degree. The neck dies will allow the cases to become slightly larger and tighter with each reload. Not the best for consistency IMO, and you will have to resize the case body at some point anyway. How often you will need to do a periodic FL resize will depend largely on how you reload.

While you're spending the money I would also suggest a "match" seater die which is infinately and easily adjustable. Once you use one you will never use one of the old types which adjust blindly and lock down with pliers.

Just my 2 cents - I hope it helps - POP also had a good idea and the Redding web site is a good source of info too.

I would get a body die, the type "S" neck die with correct bushings for your neck thickness and a Forster competition micro adjust seater. While I am aware that I will have to size the body and bump the shoulder after 5-6 firings, I don't do it each time, works the brass more than necessary. Never had an issue with consistancy or accuracy.Rick.

Back