Redfield reticles

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
Has anybody played with the Redfield ranging reticle? Is it less annoying than it seems like it would be? I'm considering one for my .358 Hawkeye, but it seems more 'busy than the Leupole B&C or Varmint Hunters.

Just looked it up... it's called 'Accu-range'. The circle around the middle I think is what bugs me.

I like it... I think it would work awesome on something like a .358. The circle is 4.5" at 100 (I think)... so, you could sight it in to hit the top of the circle at 100 (2.25" high)... and it would be inside the circle to 250 yards or so (at 250 yards the circle would be a little over 11"... perfect 'vital zone' on a deer size critter). That seems like a great way to shoot a mid-bore to me... put the circle inside the critter... WHAMMY!... the bullet goes in the circle. If the circles bigger than the critter... get closer.

Well, I bought one today. The reticle is less obtrusive in real life than in advertising land. I think I need to order low rings for my Hawkeye (I think it came with mediums). We'll see how I like it.

It seems to be similar to the Leupold Superslam reticle. I love that scope on my 45-70. Just like Songdog said, if the circle is on the deer, squeeze the trigger! I wasn't sure if I liked the trigger shooting at targets, but it works well out hunting. Scotty

I think it's flat out... no doubt... the best coyote hunting reticle ever... bar none. I'll explain why...

The center circle is set up to be 4.4" in diam at 100 yards... so you have an excellent reference for range... if the whole circle fits inside the coyote... it's almost always inside of 250 yards... usually inside 200. Best part is... the bottom of the circle is is about dead nuts at 250... circle in dog? yep... WHAMMY! Next dot is dead on at 4 bills... post is dead nutz at 5... pretty much got it covered there.

I was running the 4-12... but have since dropped down to the 3-9... I think in terms of killing stuff, the 3-9 is actually a better set-up.

Songdog - is that 4.4" at 100 yards at a specific magnification or does it change with varying magnifications?

It's at Max magnification... I know it's the same with the 3-9 as it is with the 4-12 (4.4"@100 yards)... when both set on maximum magnification. Don't know about the 2-7, but I think I remember it being the same too.

Saw one at the range. Not a bad deal..... :!:

They do look really sharp and they are simple to use once zeroed. My buddies 3x9 was very crisp and clear for a scope that is half as much as most VXII's... I am really tempted to try the 4x12 on my 25-06! Having a hard time talking myself out of it! Scotty

Well, I just bought my second Redfield, a 4-12 with the Accu-Range. Still don't have the first mounted. :evil: I need to be home more.

Proof:

DSC_3333.jpg

BK, I will "test" that 4x12 Redfield for you, you know, if you don't feel up to it! Scotty

Wow, Scotty, I figured somebody would try to talk me out of the Minox or a Zeiss, not a Redfield!

Like a Democrat, I go for the little things first, then, before you know, I have all of them!! Just kidding. Can't wait for the field test on the scopes. Scotty

I just picked up the 4 plex 4x12 from Cabela's in Lacey, Washington to put on top of my 300 WSM Tikka T3. I hope to shoot with it Friday.

Well, I tried a cheap POS Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 DOA 600 scope out on a new 7 mag Encore barrel. 2nd shot the scope hit me in the eye glasses thankfully and the scope looked like a bunch of dirty specks inside the eye lens.

I did not have a receipt or anything for the scope but remembered I had bought it at Bass Pro some time ago. I called them up to see if they could do anything at all for me since I really had my doubts Bushnell would do anything for me. I really had my doubts Bass Pro could do anything either...but much to my delight, I took it in and the guy behind the scope counter traded me a brand new Redfield 3-9x40 with Accutrack. The Redfield was marked 159 and the Bushnell I originally paid 139 was now marked 179. I walked out with the new Redfield in the box PLUS a gift card for $20. I have a feeling it will be a much better scope!

Wow, now that was an upgrade! Can't beat that kind of service. I think those Redfields are great scopes for the money. My buddy put one on a 308 and I cannot find anything to complain about. It is clear and made in the USA. I know that isn't comprehensive at all, but it zeroed quickly with clicks tracking correctly and stays zeroed. Can't ask for too much more for the money. Scotty

My only real complaint when I looked through the Redfield was that it fogged - in the store, no less, while I was looking through it. If it fogs in the store, I'm going to struggle with it when it's 30deg and I stick my 98deg face up to it, I'm afraid.

The Bushnell Trophy is not a great scope, either, I don't believe. Really, for me, the entry point starts at $175-200, where the Bushnell Elite series, Nikon Buckmaster, and Burris Fullfield II live. I've got several of the old 3200 series Bushnells and they are spectacular scopes for the money. I'm interested to try out the new Elite lineup, and hope they continue to expand it. I've also got a Pentax Pioneer (rebadged Burris FFII) in 4.5-14x42, and it's a good scope, as well.

Out of curiosity, does anybody struggle with the two-piece tube design of the lower end stuff coming out of Oregon? (Or the Nikon Buckmaster, for that matter?) I've always gravitated toward one-piece tubes, as they are inherently stiffer than a threaded tube, I believe. What's the opinion?

I have a complaint already, but can't really complain too much based on the deal I got. The power ring is very hard to turn now that I mounted it in the rings. I thought maybe I had mounted it too close to the rear ring so I gave it about a 1/4" further space and it still turns incredibly hard. Anybody else experience this?

Back