Redfield Scope question

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Are the new Redfield scopes using the same glass and coatings as the Leo Rifleman model? Was looking at them yesterday and they seem very similar in clarity.

Joel, I am not sure about the lenses and such, but the few Redfields I have looked through seem to be pretty nice scopes for the money. They seemed clear and well built. I "think" someone said they were built similar to the older VXI's, but don't hold me to that. I do think they are a good scope for the money.

PS. Going to try and get the 358 out in the next couple of days and see how the SilverTips's work out. Hoping to carry it up North, along with the 45-70 for hunting in the Adirondacks. Scotty

Scotty -Great to hear the silvertips are going along!!! Can't wait to get a report and see some pictures.

I have a non-hunting brother that has a son (12 years old) who wants to hunt deer this year with us. I am trying to put together a fairly inexpensive rifle/scope combo that won't break the bank and thought the Redfield scope looked pretty good for the money. I have rifles he could use, but he wants to have his own to hunt with. Think we have decided on a .243 with the Redfield.

Man, you can go wrong there, a little Savage or Marlin with a Redfield would be an inexpensive set up and probably shoot better than our more expensive rifles! Here is my son's rifle. It is an M700 Youth 243 with a VXI in Leupold mounts. It is a really good shooting rifle. Plus he can get an adult stock or trade it off to his sister when he grows out of it. Scotty

DSC_1160.jpg

DSC_1159.jpg

DSC_1158.jpg

Scotty,

Nice looking set up!
When your sone out grows this rig, drop it in a full size stock and you will be set with a light weight coyote calling rifle.

JD338

That is kind of what I figured. It is a great shooting rifle. Shot my smallest group ever with it, 95gr PT's and IMR3031. Scotty

Nice rig, Scotty! I plan to do something similar for my son, when he gets a little older. If I could find a 700 youth in 6mm that would be even better! Fixed 4x Loopy and he's ready to rock. Well, after he figures out the whole walking thing. Maybe I have a little time left...

Back