Redfield vs Leupold?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
What is the difference between the Leupold VX-II 4-12 and the Redfield Revolution 4-12? Dad will be looking for a scope for a 25-06 if he buys one.

The new VXII are suppose to be the same glass as last years Model VXIII when Leupold updated there models. Don't know about the Redfield.

I don't think that you can go wrong with a Leupold. But I have been able to look through some Redfield glass, and for the money, it is great. I got my mom a set of Redfield binos, and they are pretty dang nice as well.

I bought and used several of the older model (Denver) Redfield's made during the 1970 & 1980's. They were performance equivalent to my Leupold scopes over many model designs of that time in many ways. Many people use the new Redfield scopes, are satisfied with them and think they are fine for many applications. Plus they are even made in the same Oregon plant. I agree and I also believe that there is a lot of overlap in Redfield and Leupold's lower cost scopes in performance and reliability. Personally, I own a couple of Leupold scopes which I use on a rimfire rifle and large game rifle exclusively.

Personally with my engineering background, I tend to be really fussy about scope performance, especially for mounting on long range, big game premium rifles. I presently have two Leupold VXIII or VX3 models and they are excellent scopes. I also have four custom rifles and a couple of higher dollar, off-the-rack, world-class-maker, sporting rifles. For these six rifles, I use Swarovski, Kahles, plus Zeiss scopes which sell between $500-$1500 and match performance and quality features of the rifles they are mounted on.

Typically I will spend roughly about 2/3rds (up to a point) of that particular rifle's cost for a scope. Fortunately, we live in an era during which there are many fine optics and high performance scopes available which will give all the performance which I need. Additionally many of these scopes are priced between $500 and $1500.

I have both and am elated with either. No issues so far.

The redfield sits on the 257 Bee and the leo on the 7mm bee.

FOTIS":bbuu5d56 said:
I have both and am elated with either. No issues so far.

The redfield sits on the 257 Bee and the leo on the 7mm bee.
I have both also. Love em both.

sent from my typewriter

I believe the Redfield is equal to the VX-II

If it were me, I would spend a few more bucks and get either the VX-3 or a Zeiss Conquest.
My older eyes are going to start moving to Zeiss.

JD338

Back