REI sleeping bag liners?

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
I have another question about sleeping bags. I decided to bring my north face mummy bag rated for zero out west this year, it's rated for zero and the coldest it's gotten down to while using it was the mid to upper twenties and stayed fairly warm with a base layer on.

I'm looking at buying an REI sea to summit mummy bag liner that can add up to additional twenty five degrees of additional warmth incase we should experience temps colder than the mid twenties at night and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this particular liner or ones similar to it?

For the added pound of weight and $70 cost, you may be just as wise to investigate other options. Unless your tnf bag is very light, you will end up with something like 6-8lbs in your pack. That's not light. If you're just truck camping it won't matter but packing in, it might be worth the cost to buy a better bag.

We're packing into the area we'll be hunting, I'll have to check the weight of the liner, my bag weighs 3 lbs. I haven't ruled out getting another bag with a colder temp rating.

I have one of those liners but was only happy about it once, it was cold. My greatest frustration was getting all tangled up inside the main bag, really uncomfortable for me as I'm one of those active sleepers. One of my hunting crew bought a KUIU bag Expensive but very nice and it streches when you move around.

I have my main bag and keep a Sea to Summit fleece liner handy as well as a sleeping bag cover.

Between the three components I'm able to adjust my bag to suit me for all but the coldest nights. Bear in mind however that the temp ratings on sleeping bags aren't all that accurate, in my experience, and a 15 degree bag is good to about 30 degrees.

I'm shopping for a waterproof down bag that goes down to about -15 or so. Between the Mountain Hardware bag I currently have, 3 season bag, the liner and cover, and a second bag I should be able to acquit myself for anything I care to encounter.

In the past I've used two sleeping bags, one inside the other, when it got cold enough but that's more weight and bulk than I care to deal with. One often overlooked item is the ground pad. On cold nights a closed cell foam pad combined with a self inflating pad is a good combination. I use a Ridgerest Pad as my main pad on the ground and then a Thermarest self inflating Ultralite on top of that. Just take care that they don't shift on you in the middle of the night or you will wake up cold.

Vince

Back