Rejuvinating tumbler media

Antelope_Sniper

Handloader
Jan 25, 2008
I was thinking I'd seen some advice on how to rejuvinate corn cob media, but I dont' recall what the trick?
Does someone else remember?

You can buy Lyman media ''recharger" i think its called, comes in a small bottle. I also heard you can put it in panty hose and clean it in water then set out to dry out. Not gonna put myself through buying those, so I just buy the "recharger" at Sportsmans.

You can also use about a tablespoon of Flitz metal polish, start the case cleaner with media only, squirt the Flitz in let in run until the lumps are worked out add brass and your in business.

YoteSmoker":y4qkmo04 said:
You can buy Lyman media ''recharger" i think its called, comes in a small bottle. I also heard you can put it in panty hose and clean it in water then set out to dry out. Not gonna put myself through buying those, so I just buy the "recharger" at Sportsmans.

has anyone actually tried it?

I have added Flitz several times before needing to finally change out the media. It is a thick paste/gel, but does not remain wet once mixed. the trick is learning how much for your size tumbeler, I use 3lbs of media with about a tablespoon or so of the Flitz.

Perhaps I should clarify.....this media has already had a couple of bottles of Fitz....and I was looking trying to figure out how to bring it back from the dead!!

So far I've soaked it for two days in warm water, and it has much better color. I've thought about washing it with amonia, or various solvents to remove all the former gunk and see what kind of result I could get.

Thats showing true loyalty to ones media LOL.....Seems like a lot of effort to clean up 10 bucks worth of media but I could be wrong!!! Is this a test to see if it in fact can be done or the market melt down hit you that hard?

I think Slipshot's right, it's time to let if go, unless it's a personnal challenge just to see if it can be done....

Just out of curiosity, how much use have you gotten from this batch of media?

A little late on this one, but I have had good luck using Ronsonol Lighter Fluid for Zippo lighters - The active ingredient being Naphtha, I believe. A healthy squirt or two when it needs it and I have been using the same media for a while now (possibly a year or so...........)

Back