reload data 77 grain hpbt for .22-250 ????

brandon chaffee

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
does anyone have any reloading data on the 77 grain nosler bullets for the .22=250 with H-380????? Any suggestions to a starting load for a Ruger #1?

Hello sir, Thank you for the reply! I BELIEVE (from the 'brush on rod test") the twist is 1 in 16 inches? I tried some of these 77 grainers with a start load of 32 grains of H-380 (total length of 2.572") and my bullets are difinately hopping or tumbeling at 50 yards, so I gave up on them for the time being? I figured I had a twist problem, shot 3 rounds and quit. CAN these bullets be loaded for the Ruger varmint number 1's? Not enough twist for these long bullets?? Thanks again so much for your concern and reply! Anymore help will certainly be appreciated!
Brandon

I don't think you will be able to use that long a bullet in a twist rate that is so slow. I'm looking for data on a 223 with the same bullet and I'm sweating it working in a 1 in 9 rate of twist. There is a formuls some where that gives bullet length & weight for rates of twist. As I recall, a 1 in 9 rate of twist comes out to like a 68 gr weight for best results. I think that you will be limited to a 62gr or so in weight. There is a 70 gr bullet from another manufacturer that is short enough ( Soft point, flat base) that MAY work for you. I USED to use that for deer hunting here in Arizona ( 22 cal legal ) @ 3000 fps in a 20" Ar-15 untill the 60 gr Partition came out. And since I've now got those loaded up, I can't draw a deer tag! Oh well, I'll have to wait to see how they perform.

The 77 & 80 grain Custom Competitions require a twist rate of 1in 7" or 8" to stabalize.

Thanks much for the information fellas! I reckon I'll fall back on my 25-06 for these pesky cougars. I have 'til the first of the year to work on it anyhow. Best of luck drawing your deer tag next year sniper!!! (they're sure making it tough, and expensive, on a feller to try to be legal these days, eh?) Guess it makes us try harder? Take care and thanks again to both of you guys!
Brandon

Back