Reloader 23

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
Picked up a pound of RL 23 today on a trip to a local pawn shop. I bought to try and get some more speed out of the 7 MM Rem Mag (previous topic question in this forum). However my curiosity gets to me and I often wonder what else I can use this powder in. I load for 243,270,30-06, 7-08 currently and my brother has a 6.5 creedmooor that we can load for as well. Has anyone used RL 23 in any of the aforementioned calibers?

I use Reloder 23 in both the 270 Win. and the 7mmRM and have been very pleased with the results. My load this fall was producing 3060 fps with the 150 gr. BT in the 7mmRM. I was easily getting 2900 fps with the 150 gr. BT in the 270 Win. I get very consistent velocities, and great accuracy with both rifles. I have posted results on this forum before.

I found major volume differences between Nosler and Norma cases in the 7mmRM. Be sure the check the overflow water capacity of the cases your are using and have someone run a QL projection for you. Also, load a couple of low or moderate loads to get a velocity calibration. If you know the OAL, the case capacity, the bullet length, the charge weight, and the resulting velocity, someone can find the Ba factor for your lot of powder and give you a very accurate QL projection. However, be aware that the Ba factor can increase if you seat closer than .030" to the lands and as you get closer to max load.

When you start to get close to max load, the velocity will increase faster than the QL projections. So, gradually increase your charges.

Good luck with RL23. I am sure you will like it. If not, send it to me. :grin:

Dan

I've only used it in my cousins 26" 300 Win Mag with 200g ABs. I was able to get 3000fps, ES of 10, and 1/2 MOA groups with it on the top end. Although it is on the ragged edge of being too hot. Primer pockets wont last more than 2 or 3 firings with the load. But that's where she shot the best and what he wanted to go with, against my better judgement. 3000fps with a 200g AB from a 300 win mag is a touch on the warm side...

Back