reloader #7 oddities

oldchet

Beginner
Sep 9, 2011
Has anyone else noted that the universal drop table for the ballistic coefficients tables starting at .390-399 through .430-.499 actually get worse with .430 finally equal to .390? Checked against reloader #6 and that does not occur.

G'Day Oldchet,

Mate I can only assume you are referring to the Nosler Reloading Manual's #6 & #7 and a particular, unspecified bullet?
We would all love to keep this tread going but we need a bit more information from you there Oldchet!

Happy New Year
Homer

Chet,

As Homer mentioned, give us some more details so we can help sort through the differences.

JD338

Sorry folksI assumed everyone used the ballistic chart in the back of the reloading manuals to get a general idea of trajectory, velocity, etc. I was looking up data for the 250-3000 using 100 grain bullets using the Nosler #7 reloading guide to see if there was anything new. The Partition has a B.C. of .377, the ballistic tip has a B.C. of .393 and the e-Tip has a B.C. of 4.09. When checking ballistic tables on the back of the book I noticed that the ballistics were better for the Partition were better than those of the E-Tip. Didn't make sense so I got curious and started checking when they started to line up again. Then I checked the reloading manual #6 and the E-Tip information was indeed better than the Partition. So I just started checking when the Ballistic tables in the #7 manual started to go back up again. As a matter of fact the ballistic info for the .390-399 at 2900 FPS in reloading #6 at 500 yards sighted in at 200 yards is V=1835, drop=-45.1 inches. Reloading manual #7 at 500 yards sighted in at 200 yards is V=1935, drop=-42.7. This is not a cartridge I would shoot long range, but somebody loading a .257 Weatherby at 3500 FPS would be off by more than 3" and that makes a difference.

Wife called me for breakfast. I also checked online at G-7, Hornady, and Nikon. The ballistics posted there match with the information in the Reloading manual #6. But there is good news, I now have a reason to buy that chrono I have wanted for years. Plus you just have to shoot more to verify exactly what each load does. :wink:

Back