Reloading Defense (+p) Ammo cases

Straight_Shooter

Straight_Shooter
Mar 25, 2021
Does anyone know the estimated time you can reload Defense (+P) Ammo cases to +P pressures? Are there any Ballastic Gel stats of the Defense line of the +P ammo?

I haven't personally shot any of Nosler's Defense handgun ammo, nor have I handloaded the brass cases from that line of ammo. I have however loaded many thousands of rounds of handgun ammunition in several different cartridges. Started reloading handgun ammo in the 1970's.

Depending on the cartridge and pressures loaded to, handgun brass tends to last a very long time, with many loadings. Higher pressure cartridges may not last as long as lower pressure cartridges. I've had bad experience with nickel plated handgun brass cracking during handloading. Usually at the case mouth.

I have 38 Special cases that have probably been loaded 20+ times and are still doing fine. The 45 ACP cases also last about forever.

Some of my 44 magnum brass is getting pretty old and I've relegated it to low-pressure, lead bullet handloads.

So - I can't answer you specifically about the Defense line of handgun ammo & brass, but in general handgun cartridge cases tend to last a very long time through many handloads. I'd recommend avoiding any nickel plated brass for handloading.

Regards, Guy

Oh - to add a bit - in recent years I've bought and shot quite a bit of Nosler's match grade 45 ACP ammo. That ammo is very accurate & reliable and the brass has been wonderful for handloading.

Regards, Guy

Not sure I understand your question but if my assumptions are correct, then yes, there is quite a bit of terminal ballistics information available. I had boxes of it until recently but given I retired in 2011 there didn’t seem to be much point in packing it around. I know I had FBI and Dr. Fackler studies as well as published reports from Federal ammunition and Winchester, Speer and probably a few others.
I generally would refer to FBI studies and Federal ammunition when testifying. It was good stuff.
Well I wish Guys response would have posted prior to me writing. Now I understand.

I haven't personally shot any of Nosler's Defense handgun ammo, nor have I handloaded the brass cases from that line of ammo. I have however loaded many thousands of rounds of handgun ammunition in several different cartridges. Started reloading handgun ammo in the 1970's.

Depending on the cartridge and pressures loaded to, handgun brass tends to last a very long time, with many loadings. Higher pressure cartridges may not last as long as lower pressure cartridges. I've had bad experience with nickel plated handgun brass cracking during handloading. Usually at the case mouth.

I have 38 Special cases that have probably been loaded 20+ times and are still doing fine. The 45 ACP cases also last about forever.

Some of my 44 magnum brass is getting pretty old and I've relegated it to low-pressure, lead bullet handloads.

So - I can't answer you specifically about the Defense line of handgun ammo & brass, but in general handgun cartridge cases tend to last a very long time through many handloads. I'd recommend avoiding any nickel plated brass for handloading.

Regards, Guy
Thanks. I appreciate your response. I have been reloading for a while too, but not +P ammo yet. I was going to buy a few boxes of Nosler's 9s, 40s and 45s +P and see how my HKs like the loads. I am also going to try my hand at reloading my once-fired, by me, 357 Sig cases and have a couple questions , to start, about that process. if you have any experience with it, I would appreciate your input. Some of the questions apply to other cases, but I already have addressed that in the straight-walled cartridges I have reloaded
1. I am a firm believer in SAAMI and Mfg's reloading specs and always start there with my spent cases. I have 3 different brands and only a few have been above min-length-SAAMI spec.
a. 90% of the cases are below SAAMI min length of 0.865" - 0.010" (0.855"). the bulk of Speer's cases are between 0.850" & 0.854". the other brands were spread out over a wider range of the SAAMI spec. Thoughts?
b. Given the short neck, should I consider a tighter crimp to compensate or as some have suggested load the the case with powder (within specs) to prevent bullet push-back?
c. FYI, I also trim all my cases to a uniform length with minimum-length run-out to minimize one of the accuracy variables. I Know, an impossible feat, but i do not mind taking the time). For me, POI accuracy is the most important finished-product attribute after safety. Thoughts?
Thanks again.

Have a Blessed and Safe Day,

Straight_Shooter

Thanks. I appreciate your response. I have been reloading for a while too, but not +P ammo yet. I was going to buy a few boxes of Nosler's 9s, 40s and 45s +P and see how my HKs like the loads. I am also going to try my hand at reloading my once-fired, by me, 357 Sig cases and have a couple questions , to start, about that process. if you have any experience with it, I would appreciate your input. Some of the questions apply to other cases, but I already have addressed that in the straight-walled cartridges I have reloaded
1. I am a firm believer in SAAMI and Mfg's reloading specs and always start there with my spent cases. I have 3 different brands and only a few have been above min-length-SAAMI spec.
a. 90% of the cases are below SAAMI min length of 0.865" - 0.010" (0.855"). the bulk of Speer's cases are between 0.850" & 0.854". the other brands were spread out over a wider range of the SAAMI spec. Thoughts?
b. Given the short neck, should I consider a tighter crimp to compensate or as some have suggested load the the case with powder (within specs) to prevent bullet push-back?
c. FYI, I also trim all my cases to a uniform length with minimum-length run-out to minimize one of the accuracy variables. I Know, an impossible feat, but i do not mind taking the time). For me, POI accuracy is the most important finished-product attribute after safety. Thoughts?
Thanks again.

Have a Blessed and Safe Day,

Straight_Shooter
What do you need to know about the .357 SIG? I've been reloading that caliber for some time and might be able to help you.

What do you need to know about the .357 SIG? I've been reloading that caliber for some time and might be able to help you.
I put 3 Question at the end of my post on reloading +P Cases. Basically, it is about Case length, Crimp pressure and powder loads to prevent bullet push back.

The .357 SIG case shrinks just a bit after the first firing. I headspace off the shoulder when full length resizing. Easier than playing with the case mouth. Get yourself a Lee Factory crimp Die. Eliminates problems with push back. I'm sure I don't have to mention using the proper bullet.

I've probably load as much or more handgun ammo as anything els
One thing I have noticed is Winchester's target ammo with the wadcutter bullet has two cannelures on the cartridge case. That brass stretched quite badly after a few resizings and care must be taken regarding case length. You also have to watch brass with one cannelure but they don't stretch quite as badly as the ones with two cannelures.

Most of he time I run .38 Spl. with a 148 gr. home cast wadcutter over either 2.5 gr. Bullseye or 3.1 gr. W231. My guns seem to prefer the W231 load FWIW.
Paul B.

Back