Reloading for Christensen Arms 7 Rem Mag

WolfeManWVU

Beginner
Oct 31, 2016
Hello, new to reloading here and had a few questions....

Just bought a new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 7mm Rem Mag. For the upcoming whitetail season here in Appalachia, I plan on creating a hunting load using 160 grain Nosler Partitions, Nosler Brass, RL 22 powder, and Federal 215 primers. As for a seating depth, I planned on starting 0.010"-0.015" back from the lands.

Last eve, I used the sharpie, shot case/bullet method to determine my rifles COAL. It was hard for me to see the "lands" mark on the bullet, however after 10 chamberings, my rifles COAL looks to be 3.310". Most reloading manuals recommend a max OAL of 3.290". Would I be okay to try 3.295"-3.300" or should I stick with the recommended max OAL?

Anyone else reload for this rifle?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard, and welcome to the fraternity of hand loaders. Congratulations on securing a great firearm, by the way. Since you measured your COAL at 3.310, I'd be inclined to begin at 0.010 inches off the lands. Make a dummy round and ensure that it chambers without binding. This will also ensure that a cartridge of that length fits your magazine. It is not unusual that a chamber will vary by ten or even by twenty thousandths of an inch from SAAMI dimensions. Consequently, it sounds as if you are beginning with some quality components; that will stand you in good stead as you work up a load. I do like RL22 in the 7RM.

64-67 grains of Rl22 should have you shooting small groups pretty quick. Good luck. Love to see a picture of the rifle. Sounds pretty wicked.

:grin: They are pretty "wicked"

Buddy of mine uses ona Christensen Arms rifle in 7mm Rem mag, and does quite well with it at longer ranges on mule deer. I don't know his load details, but can ask.

RL-22 and a 160 - 175 gr bullet is pretty much a classic, and terrific, combo with the 7mm Rem mag. I used to use that myself, when I had a 7mm Rem mag.

And, welcome to the forum!

Guy

Thanks guys!

Nosler's recommended max load is 63.0 grains, so I'm going to start with that but vary seating depth. I'd like to get at least 3,000 fps with the 160 grain Partition (26" barrel).

The gun shot sub MOA when I was breaking it in with 150 grain Remington Core Lokts. I plan on taking her to the range tomorrow to test the loads I've worked up - I'll take some pictures of my groups and post them when I'm done. I've attached some pics of the gun to this post (that's my 6 year old is testing out the trigger pull (y) )

Attachments

• Jensen1.jpg
    Jensen1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,747
  • Groups.jpg
    Groups.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,747
Oh, dear, raising a lefty! There'll be some people pleased to see that. I dare not allow my grandson see this. :mrgreen:

Very nice. I think your load work up will be quick.

Do you have a chronograph? Not that it matters too much but I've hardly ever seen 63 grains of 22 give 3K. Not a big deal if you have precision but it wouldn't hurt to check it out either.

Great pictures.

From the 7mm's I've been around using 160 accubonds noslers max has always been a little light to reach the 3k they post. If one works up accordingly and let your rifle tell you when it's max charge has been reached and you will reach 3k.

Very nice group by the way. Looks like a good stopping point if the speed is what you're looking for. (y)

Back