reloading for coyotes

flyfish

Beginner
Nov 6, 2006
Not sure if this is a reloading question or a hunting question? Guess it doesn't matter all that much :roll:

I'm thinking after the first of the year I would try to thin out some coyotes.
I was thinking about using my 243. I was looking at my #5 Nosler manual and saw that there are 3 different varmit BT bullets, 55, 70 and 85grain.
Any suggestions on which one I might choose? I was leaning towards the 70 grain. The shots that I will have would be rather close, most likey in the 50 yard range. Maybe out to 100 yards.

What are the advantages/disadvantages between the 3 different bullet weights?

Thanks

I think you are on the right track, the 70 grain version would be my choice.

I shoot that bullet in my 6mm Remington and it is very accurate and devastating on varmints.

I guess that might all depend on what your plans are with the yotes. If your planning on skinning them I'd probably look at the heavier of the three. If not......the 55 or 70's would do the job.
This was out of my 22-250 with 55gr BlitzKings @about 80 yds.
( No, we don't keep the hides )
Cap0003.jpg

Go with the 70 gr BT in your 243 Win.
39.5 grs IMR4895 should get you where you want to be, excellent accuracy in several rifles. :wink:

JD338

I'm using 42.5gr of Varget with Federal Cases and CCI primers. This load shoots slightly less than one inch at 100 yards. Chronographed at 3,616fps, 22" barrel.

Here's the kicker. This gun (Smith & Wesson Model 1500) I bought off of a buddy, he bought it off of his business partner. Neither of them could get it to shoot under an inch, however, neither of them really messed with it. When I got it, I took it apart and saw the barrel channel had not been cut properly. There was a "ridge" of wood running down the middle of the channel and the barrel was obviously rubbing on it. I knocked the ridge down with my Dremmel and started loading. I started with 38gr of Varget and got a group slightly over an inch. 42gr of Varget shot about 1.5 inches and 42.5gr shot just under an inch. I left it at that. I still think the stock needs some work, and it will probably knock those groups down a bit.

I've only shot a few coyotes with this gun. 1st one was 70+- yards facing me. Shot him in the chest, no exit. 2nd one was 101 yards, going for a head shot, he moved his head resulting in a gut shot. Not a huge hole, but big enough. 3rd, a couple of days ago, 20 yards, small entry, small exit. These are the only ones I remember anyway. I think you'll like the 70gr BT. Sometimes I save the hides so I like small holes.

I shoot coyotes with my .22 Mag out to 100 yards, I save the hides so I shoot them with 50 grain FMJs.

55gr NBT over max charge of H414, great groups and it kills things very very dead. I am not a hide saver either

This is outside your bullet weight choices, but I decided upon a 95 ballistic tip for my one load do all bullet. Extremely accurate in my 10 twist a-bolt with a max charge of 42.5 RL-22, WW cases, and Fed210M primers. 3K FPS is fast enough for me I guess, but more importantly to me is I know I can head or neck shoot a deer (eye or ear hole at 100 yds :) and kill a deer or coyote out to 300. Something to consider, if you don't like having to change loads and sights...unless you want to.

I used 70s last year and 55s this year. Both hammer yotes at any range, so far the 55s seem to be more fur friendly. Varget or RL15 are the best powders IMO

I don't save the hides...I have shot coyote with both and prefer the 55's. I currently load them over RL15, but looking for other options.

Back