Reloading Goals For The New Year

I got plenty to do and work at. But one thing I have to do is save up some Peso's and get the scope I want on a Sauer 101 chambered in 30-06 and run some more bullet weights through it testing and get it in the rotation of use.

Threw a Leupold 12X varmint scope on it and tested it and that was it. I think that was September of 2021. A nice rifle that wants to shoot like that shouldn't be sitting in a box.

This is what it did at 200 yards. Took the scope off I had mounted for testing and the rifle's been in a box and haven't shot it since. Shameful.

Not much work left to do there👍

Is that barrel bedded? Or just the action, Sauer's German translation has me lost.View attachment 18683

You know, I never checked I don't think to see if the barrel is completely free floated, but I believe it is, so I'm going to say no, the barrel is not bedded. I had it apart before I ever shot it just to see how it was put together, and remember being somewhat struck and befuddled at how the action was bedded.......does not have a recoil lug per say, so an outside the norm set up, but it obviously works. It's a very well made rifle.......nothing about it that you could say is cheap. Worked flawless and smooth on chambering and ejection, and the trigger is a work of art.

My one gripe with it is the safety. The push button design of the bolt safety is not the quickest most natural safety to me, but other than that great rifle. Like the stock design as well........the felt recoil was minimum for an -06.

Here's a video if you care to watch, showing all the features. They talk it up big of course promoting their product........but can't really say there's anything I'd argue with them on, except the safety.

I got plenty to do and work at. But one thing I have to do is save up some Peso's and get the scope I want on a Sauer 101 chambered in 30-06 and run some more bullet weights through it testing and get it in the rotation of use.

Threw a Leupold 12X varmint scope on it and tested it and that was it. I think that was September of 2021. A nice rifle that wants to shoot like that shouldn't be sitting in a box.

This is what it did at 200 yards. Took the scope off I had mounted for testing and the rifle's been in a box and haven't shot it since. Shameful.

That is some superb shooting. May I ask what bullets are those?

That is some superb shooting. May I ask what bullets are those?

Just Speer 165 BTSP's. But I do help them out by sorting them. I've done it 2 ways......weighing them in 3 different groups, and the quicker way is to sort them by length into 3 different groups. I figure if the difference in lengths is due to the lead tip, then the shortest group will weigh different than the longest, or at least be balanced different. I haven't for sure verified which way is more precise, although I suspect the more tedious method of weighing each one is more precise.

They're a cheap bullet that has done well for me. The majority of the -06's I used them in will produce as low as right at 1/2" moa at 200 yds, up to 1"-1.25" moa at 200 depending on the rifle. More than one 30-06 has averaged consistently tighter groups (moa wise) at 200 with this bullet than it does at 100. Not sure why that is.

More than one 30-06 has averaged consistently tighter groups (moa wise) at 200 with this bullet than it does at 100. Not sure why that is.
Often, a bullet does not "go to sleep" until it passes 100 yards. The 175 grain PT in my 7mm RM produces the same group at 200 yards it does at 100 yards (3/4 inch). There is a definite "wobble" (rotation about the axis) as it is launched. This doesn't settle down to a concentric rotation until some distance from the barrel.

Often, a bullet does not "go to sleep" until it passes 100 yards. The 175 grain PT in my 7mm RM produces the same group at 200 yards it does at 100 yards (3/4 inch). There is a definite "wobble" (rotation about the axis) as it is launched. This doesn't settle down to a concentric rotation until some distance from the barrel.

Yeah I've heard about it and experienced it to a degree on the "boomers" I've loaded for others and tested with, but it surprised me to see it show up fairly regular with an-06. The boat tail design might have something to do with it.

Yeah I've heard about it and experienced it to a degree on the "boomers" I've loaded for others and tested with, but it surprised me to see it show up fairly regular with an-06. The boat tail design might have something to do with it.
I believe that was my ultimate assessment years ago.

Kind of a funny story on that basically 1/4" group at that distance (which I highly doubt I can repeat, although it sure points towards a good shooting rifle)......it surprised me all the way through.

Had some loaded to just get on paper good enough for testing, and had one other bullet weight load that I tested at just 100 yds. This Speer 165 load has done well enough for me in enough different 30-06's at 200 yds that it has become a trusted load for testing an -06 at that distance.

I did not have a spotting scope just the 12X that was on the rifle. Shot the first shot, seen where it hit. Shot the second and it sure looked like the hole was oblong. Cool, lets see where the 3rd one ends up and what the actual group is at 200. Shot the 3rd shot and it still looked like 1 hole through the scope. Now I was about half p.o.'d. Figured my eyes deceived me looking through that scope, it didn't do that, which meant the other 2 were completely off the paper. I took a walk up to the target seeing if I could see where the other 2 hit on the plywood backer, and was grumping the whole way up because that rifle should shoot that load a heck of a lot better than that! I went from grumping to grinning like a possum when I got there. :ROFLMAO:

MY goal would be to find some 209 mag primers for my 209x50 ML.
I've got a few rifles at the smith's place waiting for some new barrels. That should start the usual cycle all over again. LOL

Fully develop my 131gr Hammer Hunter load for my 280AI, get over my irrational fear of mixing x-fired brass, buy an annealer.

MY goal would be to find some 209 mag primers for my 209x50 ML.
I've got a few rifles at the smith's place waiting for some new barrels. That should start the usual cycle all over again. LOL
Bought 1000 mag 209 primers back in the summer somewhere online to use in my inline also. Got more primers than powder now:D Dan.

My 3030 needs a 160ftx load. Only had factory rounds through it so far. I have the brass, bullets and powder ready to go.

6.5-06 will get some load development work with the 140 grain size projectiles.

338wm might get some load development with the 215grain SGK‘s.

7mmRM will get some load development with the 162eldx that I just didn’t get around to in 2022.

The chronograph will see more use.

My goal is to get my reloading bench set up again. Downsized from 2400 sq ft to 1000 and no garage. Got a new 30x50 shop going up shortly with a 10x30 man cave planned. Then I am going to work up a load for my 275 Rigby with 140 gr BT or AB.

Late to this party, develop a .358 180 TTSX load for the 35 Whelen AI as well as the .358 200 gr Hammer "Power Hammer". The 200 TTSX has been an absolute workhorse in that gun for the past 12 years and the 200/225/250 Original X bullets all accounted for elk/deer before the TTSX, along with a couple using the 250 Hornady Spire Point.

A goal has been to take an animal with each weight Barnes, so the 180 TTSX needs some attention. Then, the 200 gr Power Hammer simply because I picked some up and am very curious as to the terminal performance they give with shedding petals and the shank continues for penetration.

Setting golas load for now unless the component supply improves. I have all supplies for these.
1. Fine tune 338 Lapua for 285AMAX and maybe try 300 Nolser CC
2. Develop a load for 22-250, Ruger M77 with 14 twist
3. Develop a load for 223/556 AR with 24" barrel, 8 twist
4. Develop a 308 Load for AR-10 Type rifle.

Back