Reloading Goals For The New Year

Often, a bullet does not "go to sleep" until it passes 100 yards. The 175 grain PT in my 7mm RM produces the same group at 200 yards it does at 100 yards (3/4 inch). There is a definite "wobble" (rotation about the axis) as it is launched. This doesn't settle down to a concentric rotation until some distance from the barrel.
I am happy to hear you say that @DrMike . One of my 300Wby shoots 3/4” at 100 and 0.4 at 200 yards. I thought it was strange

A couple goals for this year. First and foremost, buy or trade for a couple bricks of LRM primers. I’ve burned through more than I’d like in the last couple years. I’m down to 3 bricks left, plus a couple hundred unsealed for loading. I don’t like being that low.

Second, fine tune my 180gr Berger Hybrid, and 175gr ELD-X loads for my 1:8 and 1:9 twist 7mm RM’s. I’ve got them a little under a MOA now but I think they can be better. Hence my need for LRM primers.

My 3030 needs a 160ftx load. Only had factory rounds through it so far. I have the brass, bullets and powder ready to go.
in my 94 I load the 160 gn FTX with 36 grains of Leverevolution powder. With great results.

my goals this year are to find a load for my 308 using the 130 gn ttsx and Varget.
and, possibly the 150 gn ttsx for my 30-06.

I’ve seen some information about the microscopic particles left behind with lead bullets.
and, NY may be changing to non lead bullets for hunting….

in my 94 I load the 160 gn FTX with 36 grains of Leverevolution powder. With great results.

my goals this year are to find a load for my 308 using the 130 gn ttsx and Varget.
and, possibly the 150 gn ttsx for my 30-06.

I’ve seen some information about the microscopic particles left behind with lead bullets.
and, NY may be changing to non lead bullets for hunting….

My opinion. The hype about lead in meat is about as overblown as the climate hysteria. There are more 90 plus yr old people in my area than I can shake a stick at, and most I know personally. All the ones I can think of off the top of my head are still getting around all on their own. My parents are both 87 and the same can be said for them. All these people consumed deer meat all their lives, and most still do including my parents.

I'm not saying to shoot a deer in the shoulder with a lead bullet traveling 3200 fps and then cut that shoulder meat up in with your hamburg, but with just a little bit of common sense, the risk of and affects from consuming microscopic bits of lead mixed in a couple bites of meat in a year is about nil.

There's at least 5,040 other things that will kill you first. But hey, lets all be forced into buying bullets that cost 1.5 times more, to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

My opinion. The hype about lead in meat is about as overblown as the climate hysteria. There are more 90 plus yr old people in my area than I can shake a stick at, and most I know personally. All the ones I can think of off the top of my head are still getting around all on their own. My parents are both 87 and the same can be said for them. All these people consumed deer meat all their lives, and most still do including my parents.

I'm not saying to shoot a deer in the shoulder with a lead bullet traveling 3200 fps and then cut that shoulder meat up in with your hamburg, but with just a little bit of common sense, the risk of and affects from consuming microscopic bits of lead mixed in a couple bites of meat in a year is about nil.

There's at least 5,040 other things that will kill you first. But hey, lets all be forced into buying bullets that cost 1.5 times more, to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Things we did 90-100 years ago and the things we do today sure have changed.
God bless you and your neighbors! I think it is fantastic that all are getting around at that age!
My Dad just passed at 89 this fall but his last few years were stuck in a chair as he was unable.
I agree that some things are over blown be media and such, AND I’m not trying to start an argument.
I certainly hear where you’re coming from, but I have a new Grandson and he eats some of what I kill and children are more sensitive to lead because their digestive systems absorb lead at twice the rate of adults and because they are growing rapidly.
So, in that regard, I’ll do what I can possibly to reduce hazards.
my go to hunting bullet at this time is the Nosler AccuBond, and I’ve had great success with it.
Love it!
I’m investigating the Barnes ttsx to see if I can get a good load.
As I stated before NY may force my hand anyway, and because I hunt public quite a bit and for my families health.
the difference in price Barnes $43 and Nosler $70 as stated by their home sites.
accordingly, I’m saving almost half….

Things we did 90-100 years ago and the things we do today sure have changed.
God bless you and your neighbors! I think it is fantastic that all are getting around at that age!
My Dad just passed at 89 this fall but his last few years were stuck in a chair as he was unable.
I agree that some things are over blown be media and such, AND I’m not trying to start an argument.
I certainly hear where you’re coming from, but I have a new Grandson and he eats some of what I kill and children are more sensitive to lead because their digestive systems absorb lead at twice the rate of adults and because they are growing rapidly.
So, in that regard, I’ll do what I can possibly to reduce hazards.
my go to hunting bullet at this time is the Nosler AccuBond, and I’ve had great success with it.
Love it!
I’m investigating the Barnes ttsx to see if I can get a good load.
As I stated before NY may force my hand anyway, and because I hunt public quite a bit and for my families health.
the difference in price Barnes $43 and Nosler $70 as stated by their home sites.
accordingly, I’m saving almost half….

Yep, not trying to start an argument either, choices in that regard are good...........I have no problem with somebody using copper bullets for whatever their reasons, including the lack of lead. I just happen to think that part of it is hogwash. But I'm cool with all of it as long as I'm not forced to follow along.

When I was a kid I guarantee the adults that were cutting up deer meat were not as careful about what got cut up for hamburg as I am. I'm the youngest of 6........we didn't have much, and everything that could possibly be used, was. All my older brother and sisters are still living fine as well. Can't tell you how many lead BB's I spit out as a youngster eating shot-gunned squirrels and rabbits. I definitely chewed on my share of them, and I'm sure I also likely consumed a few.

Far as the older folks around here, I just happened to do some work for one last evening.......asked her how old she is now. 95. Still does steps on a old 2 story farm house to go to bed each night, and still cooks her own meals. Last night she was planning on making salmon cakes for supper. Ha. I always enjoy those older folks, especially the sharp tongued spit fires that a lot of them are. Makes me laugh.

What is on everyone to do list this year? Given that supplies are slowly making it to the shelves.
I have many - by bore size
6mm Creed - 105gr 115 gr RDFs N555 powder
257 Wby - 90gr AH
6.5 Creed - getting 145gr Matchburners to shoot
30-06 - developing new loads for the new barrel
300 Wby - 180gr Accubonds coming
30-378 Wby - working with N570
340 Wby - still waiting on its return from gunsmith
35 Whelen - getting 250gr bullets to shoot
460 Wby - 404gr SH
Well I figured it was time for an update.
6mm Creed 115gr RDF 👍 didn’t get to the 105
257 Wby 90gr AH final touch when it cools off
6.5mm Creed and 145gr Matchburners👍
30-06 didn’t get to yet
300 Wby has a surprise coming yet
30-378 Wby didn’t happen yet either
35 Whelen and 250gr🙁
460 Wby and 404gr Hammers are ready to hammer deer this year😁
375 Wby took some of my time away from the others.

Well, 26 months after the Sanford dam failure and Edenville dam breach.. and 5.5’ of water in my reloading room… I have things put back together. Basement useable and I can start messing with my loads again. Probably 45/70 near top of list. Loaded FTX for it and it shot well. Killed one buck with it. Have some more normal bullets. Using starlink for my full length cases and federal for my FTX trimmed cases. I think RL7 was what I used for the 325ftx.

So probably low key this fall… just get 45/70 tuned up. Maybe the 3030 which I’ve never got to shoot great… just ok.

Back