Reloading issue with 222 Rem

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
20220901_170743.jpg
I've been loading for the 222 for a couple of years but have not resized any cases. I have been neck sizing only. Today I went to resize some cases and the pics attached are the result. Could I assume the resizing die is at issue? I found the issue full length sizing some new Winchester cases I've had for a couple of years. I sacrificed a Lapua case to verify it wasn't a case issue. Anyone ever had a caddywompas sizing die.

What brand of die?
My Hornady did the same thing on my 458 Win mag brass just above the belt after just sizing the necks for a few firings , then full sizing. It wasn’t as bad as what you pictured.

The new Hornady die is marked 222 Rem. I measured the dimensions on the new Winchester brass and they are correct. I tried to measure the inside diameter of the die with a vernier micrometer and it seems small by a hundreth or so. I'm going to give their customer service a try.

It looks like you might have your sizing die screwed too deep in your press.

Not sure if your loading for a bolt gun or other type of action but I would try to adjust your sizing die to where the sized case will chamber with just a bit of resistance. This way you won't be excessively sizing and working your brass. If your neck sizing then the above wouldn't apply.

I finally got around to calling Hornady about this issue. I explained the issue and that the die has an inside diameter of 0.367" at it's mouth. The guy listened, commented about the diameter after checking his schematics, took my information, and then said they were sending out a new die. Appears to be pretty good customer service.

I can’t see anything other than a die issue. Glad they are standing tall and sending you a new die. I’ve found most of the manufacturers in the shooting sports are willing to help when problems arise.

Back