Reloading Press Dilemna

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I was looking at getting a used press to go along with my main press which is rcbs rockchucker supreme just to do some odds and ends and make things a little easier maybe do some crimping or decapping, etc. only with the secondary press. I here all the talk on here and the reloading equipment thread was shocked to see how many people use the forester coax press. I have only been reloading for about 5 years but the people I learned from always told me the rockchucker was the be all end all to single stage presses?? Although I do realize my friends and I got into reloading on the cheap. I have slowly been upgrading the tools where prudent. I don't really have a need for a progressive press only load for bolt action and lever action and never load more than 20 or 30 at a time.

Should I get the coax and relegate the rockchucker to backup instead of picking up a beater second press?

Is it really a better press? Will you see a difference in the accuracy of the ammo? Will it be a more efficient time saving press?

You're fine with your Rockchucker Supreme Press. No need to get a Co-Ax! you're not missing anything except faster die set-ups. Buy a use Redding, Lyman, Lee or another Rockchucker for you're secondary press.

I wouldn't buy a second press until you need a progressive. If you are just loading one box at a time, a progressive is not needed.

Loaded on a Rock Chucker for over 25yrs, never a problem except some concentricity. Got a Co-Ax and now the Rock Chucker is my secondary press. Die changes-no more screwing the dies in/out. Shell holder-don't have to change anything for 95% of what I load. Concentricity-no more issues. Spent primers-no more running around the floor. As much as I liked the Rock, the Co-Ax was a great upgrade.Rick.

rick smith":i2a7xnrh said:
Loaded on a Rock Chucker for over 25yrs, never a problem except some concentricity. Got a Co-Ax and now the Rock Chucker is my secondary press. Die changes-no more screwing the dies in/out. Shell holder-don't have to change anything for 95% of what I load. Concentricity-no more issues. Spent primers-no more running around the floor. As much as I liked the Rock, the Co-Ax was a great upgrade.Rick.

Nicely done,
You have a rock, so now it is want, not need.
If you can afford another press, buy a CO-AX and don't look back. CW

I've had a Rock Chucker and a Partner press. Both were good and turned out excellent ammunition. I now have a T-7 and a Co-Ax. Each is good and turns out excellent ammunition. Any of the presses you named, or any that have been named by those posting, will work very well for what you envision. A good used press will likely be the most cost efficient for you, though there is nothing wrong with stimulating the economy by investing in a new press.

rick smith":36550pka said:

I loaded on a Partner for a long time. I would give up an arm before I gave up my COAX! It is really a great press and makes life alot easier to me. Granted, they aren't cheap, but nothing worth having is. Plus, again, no shellholders or goofing around with making sure dies are correct, slide them in and forget about it! Scotty

I loaded a LOT of ammunition on a Partner over the years, then was given a Rock Chucker, that I haven't used yet. I envision myself picking up a T7 at some point (probably when Warehouse Sports gets some more in). I guess I need to give a Co-Ax a try. A lot of people gush over them, but I don't see the appeal. Maybe if I give them a go.

Antelope_Sniper":28n1i6i9 said:
I wouldn't buy a second press until you need a progressive. If you are just loading one box at a time, a progressive is not needed.

YUP!

I appreciate the advice. Money is not a real problem anymore from a standpoint I have certain amount of money that goes to this my only hobby so if I don't spend it on the reloading equipment it will be on another gun I probably don't have time to reload for or shoot. I have a 2 1/2 year old so when I get time to reload I don't have a lot of uninterupted time. Trying to find what will make me more efficient with the time I have. I may not ever get to the level of needing a progressive. That is why I was thinking of adding the second press so I wouldn't have to change dies out so much. It sounds like the forester would help with the speed of changing dies and also has a reliable priming feature. I have been using handheld Lee auto prime.

The more I read about the Forester it seems it does have some real advantages over the rockchucker for convenience if nothing else. As far as accuracy of ammunition, I am sure I am the weak link in this accuracy chain, but that is the one link that can't be replaced.

I was checking out ebay and I could sell my rockchucker for what I paid for it 5 years ago. They have gone up over 150% since i bought mine. That would pay for close to half of the forester.

I doubt you would ever regret getting the COAX. Once your dies are set up, they change in seconds. I really like that. Again, the priming feature is nice. I do all my priming off the press and have 0 doubts the primer is where it is supposed to be, every time. Plus, the Forster is just an easy to operate machine. Works will little to no effort. Scotty

ldg397":8h3hcfl3 said:
I appreciate the advice. Money is not a real problem anymore from a standpoint I have certain amount of money that goes to this my only hobby so if I don't spend it on the reloading equipment it will be on another gun I probably don't have time to reload for or shoot. I have a 2 1/2 year old so when I get time to reload I don't have a lot of uninterupted time.

Whoa, that sound vaguely familiar! Add in an out of town job, and that's me! (Except the only hobby thing.)

ldg397":8h3hcfl3 said:
Trying to find what will make me more efficient with the time I have. I may not ever get to the level of needing a progressive. That is why I was thinking of adding the second press so I wouldn't have to change dies out so much.

I think I might also look at a turret press, if I were in your shoes. I like the Redding T7 (evil laugh, "I will own one some day!") but the RCBS or Lyman would probably work just as well.

Back