Reloading Presses....?

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
So what kind of presses is everyone loading on? I took my Dads old RCBS RockChucker about 8yrs ago or so that I've / we've always loaded on. It always did the job, but didn't have all the bells and whistles on it that I "thought" I wanted..... I ran out a few years ago and purchased a Dillon 550 B I think B.....
I'd say for reloading a lot of AR's / high volume it would do just fine, but I don't like it... I find myself going back to the RCBS.
Issue being, I just gave it back to my Dad due to he's moved and going to start shooting / hunting / hand loading again.

Is what brought this up was one of the previous posts on C.O.A.L I've noticed the same thing if using different die heads in the Dillon ie best to screw your dies into one head and leave them there.

I'm starting to look at new presses and just curious who is using what and why ? I'm trying to get away from the progressives as I don't load any high volume, no hand-gun either. Generally load between 10 to 50 round per setting...
Other sugestions welcome as well....
Shooting002-1.jpg

I have a RCBS Reloader Special-5 I bought 15yrs ago or so. I really like it. If I were buying a press today, knowing what I know, I'd take a serious look at the Rock Chucker Supreme, the Lyman Crusher, the Redding Boss/Big Boss, and even the Lee Classic Cast press. Any of these is going to do the job. I'll also advise that if you don't currently own a hand priming tool (I have the older RCBS version, and love it), budget money for that, too, as on-press priming is a pain for me. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the presses I listed, it just comes down to personal preference, mainly.

I bought a RCBS Jr press 34 yrs ago and its all I have ever used.
I would like to get the Forster Co-Ax one of these days......

JD338

Lyman Crusher, it's not too bad.
A couple years ago a piece of the cast metal broke off one of the linkage pin eyes, but I think I had a die adjusted wrong making it over cam too hard.

It still works well, no complaints.

CC.

Lyman crusher in the past.....now Lyman turret.
I have had Hornady, RCBS Lee etc. They all work great!

I started out about 20 years ago, with an RCBS 4X4, it got stolen. That hurt bad enough because I only paid 25 dollars for it 3 sets of pistol dies in 38, 380 and 357 mag, plus 505 scales,little dandy powder thingy, reloading trays lube pad,about 5000 rounds of .357 lead simi wad cutters, and about 500 rounds of 357 brass. The press was all that got stolen. then I replaced this with a single stage press from lee, but it broke. so I replaced this with a partner press,I think that was the single stage press that RCBS had at the time. Then a friend of mine who was getting out of reloading do to old age, gave me an old Herters press. I still have that one, and have made adapters to allow rcbs and lee dies to fit.
Then the year after Katrina hit the coast, I was in a salvage store in Laurel MS that had emptied out a gander mountain from some where on the coast and picked up an RCBS turret press, and a quick mounting plate for $25.00 again. All I had to do was clean off some water marks, and very little surface rust, and it is as good as new.
I still use the partner press more than any thing though.
Sorry its so long but I had to tell the tail :wink:

I started out with a Rockchucker, but sold it cheap to a guy wanting to get started reloading. I replaced it with a Redding Ultramag. I really like it.

Steve

For my "low volume" reloading (6mm Rem, .270 Win, .338 Win) I use the Rockchucker.

For "high volume" reloading (.380, 9mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .45 ACP) I use the RCBS Pro 2000.

I love both.

With the Pro 2000 properly set up, I can load an honest 250 cartridges per hour.

The rub is the setup. I have dedicated die holders for each of my calibers (which are easily slid out-of and into the press to change calibers), so it takes me 10 — 15 minutes to switch calibers, adjust the powder measure's contact with the cases, swap out shell holders and adjust the amount of powder the measure throws (it takes me a little longer if I switch the priming ram, as I must do going between small pistol and large pistol primers). It also takes a few minutes to load the primer strips that make my life so wonderful.

If you try to skimp and use a single die holder plate for all calibers, setup will take a little longer, say about 5 minutes.

If you were to swap between ammo that requires more than 50 grains of propellant with a caliber that requires less than 50 grs., add another 10 minutes or so to the caliber change process (you need to swap powder measure parts).

JFWIW

I started on my dads RCBS Jr that I now have, and still use for some tasks. I replaced a RockChucker I had bought at a garage sale before recieving the Jr with a Lyman Orange Crusher (I was offered such a deal to sell the RC I couldn`t refuse)
I now use a Forster Co-Ax, and wouldn`t give it up for anything. Just the fact it doesn`t need a different shell holder every time I change cartridge die is a plus.

I use a RCBS JR press for my 30-06 reloading. For my .45ACP and 22-250 I use my Dillion 550B press.

Corey

good evening,,,about 7-8 years ago i decided to get into reloading not for the price of factory ammo but the many calibers i acquired over the years before,,,i picked up a rcbs-rs2 press at a garage sale in mint condition for $18.00 and never looked back,,,about 2 years ago figuring i'd need a back-up press,spent another $14.00 on a rcbs-rs press,,,the only thing i don't like in the rcbs line is their brass set screws for their dies,they tend to strip out,,,i am a roll one at a time guy,and in the 2,000 or 2500 rounds i shoot each year,rcbs is there in both customer support and warranty,,,don't get any better than that,,,they have alot of followers,,,thanks :grin: :grin: :grin:

My family's presses have always been rcbs. Most of the dies also.
I currently load on a rock chucker. good old green.
I have been looking at progressive presses for the ar-15 and the 45acp but haven't took the plunge yet.

I use a Forster co-ax, and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe the newest revision with the larger handle yoke for really tall dies). It is exceptionally well designed and built, and a joy to use. From snap-in/out, floating die retention and automatic universal shell holder jaws, to the spent primer handling and handle/linkage system, it is the best available single stage press.

Someday I may add a progressive press, but I don't think I'll ever give up my co-ax.

Andy

Long ago I started with a Lyman Spartan and the lil old lyman reloading book-I wish I would have it- then for a number of years RCBS and now a Lyman Crusher and works fine for me.

I currently load on a RCBS Partner Press, but am looking to upgrade to a Forster Co Ax. I learned to reload on one (small gun shop in town) and remember what an awesome press it was. For not ever having to worry about shell holders and the accuracy of the press, I hope it will be worth the money. It certainly gets good reviews. Scotty

I started on an RCBS Partner press, and loaded maybe as many as 10,000 rounds on it. Maybe more. I was given a Rock Chucker from my parent's neighbor's late husband. I've also used my friend's Rock Chucker a bit. I like RCBS products.

One of these days, when I have more room, I'd like to get a Redding T7 Turret Press and a Big Boss II single stage. I like the way that the Reddings handle spent primers better than the RCBS.

Back