Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 Build

Wyo7200

Handloader
Aug 20, 2014
I just picked up my .308 SPS Varmint 26" barrel and get the distance to lands measured.

I am planning on reducing the barrel length to 22" so I can put an AAC muzzle brake on it and use my 7.62 silencer. The land distance is 2.355 (2.980 OAL). I am getting a magpul stock and bottom metal for it, and will be able to load up to 2.860. As is, the distance to the lands is .180 when I load to mag length. When I load to 2.860, the ogive will still be .120 off the lands if my math is correct.

Since I am going to chop off a few inches, should I "chase the lands" and ream out the throat to have a semi sane throat, then take off the remaining difference from the muzzle? I'll be shooting the plethora of 150 Btips I have accumulated.

Never had to think about this so I thought I'd ask before leaping.

You might want to shoot it first to see if the accuracy potential is there before expensive barrel work.

I'm guessing your going with AICS magazines? I put together a LR rig for my dad this summer using a SPS varmint in 308. I went with the Boyd's provarmint stock with adjustable cheek piece. Using a standard mag box with factory bottom metal I was able to get to the lands with 168gr MK.

If your wanting to use a detachable mag I would set the barrel back enough to get to the lands with your preferred bullet.

d7510a9415cad8419f551bd62322c597.jpg

93ceb685d49ea0eb00404af5f5e4faaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking rig!

I'll be giving her a go to test it and to take measurements for load developments.
I ordered a magpul stock for this one and would use their AICS style mags.

I was looking for a stock like that on boyds but it only listed the style for the .22! I'll have to dig deeper I guess. One of my thoughts is how hard would it be to modify a stock like that boyds to use the Magpul bottom metal so I can use detachable mags.

I have my .260 Rem in a Magpul stockwith bottom metal and mags. Still need to shoot it... It's a sporter style barrel so there is a lot of space between the stock and barrel. It's not floating, it's outright flying.

Good luck with your project. I've always been impressed with magpul products so I'm sure those stocks will serve you well.

I was pretty impressed with that Boyd's pro varmint stock. It's a little heavy but very stiff and great ergonomics. Modifying it to use a dbm using AICS mags would be no different than any other Remington stick with some being harder to fit with others possibly dropping right in. It would depend on what bottom metal you went with. As a budget build that SPS varmint turned out great, you can see the 100 and 300 yard groups on the target in the second picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally had a break in the weather so I took the .308 out to play and get the burn rate... Happy with its first shots and will be able to have a load that I can shoot with the full 26" and still shoot when it gets back from getting a little (4") off the top.

Maybe 2 1/4" at 200 yards for shots 6-10 through this rifle. Maybe the long throat won't be a problem.

8E0209CE-4485-48BF-96C3-13C2EEFFF244.jpg

Magpul stock did great- loaded to 2.860. I used the old varmint stock for the .260 rem.

Seems like it's going to shoot just fine.

Sounds like it is going to be an excellent set up.

The .308 will be getting a little off the top at the end of the month. [emoji3]

Continuation from above-It's amazing how close QL is with this .308. I was looking for a load that I could use with the 26" and by adjusting seating depth, use when the barrel gets shortened. Chrono'd a mid charge load, adjusted QL to match, started playing in QL. Found 45gr of 748 worked. Loaded some at different oal's and Chrono'd them. Spot on with QL velocity estimate at 26". Good accuracy too on the node. 45gr it may be... I have 15 waiting to be tested in February.

I just took it out this morning and was blown away in more ways than one. I went for velocities since it was 15-20mph winds. With the test loads I did in QL, it did pretty good- Velocities were off from the estimate, but 1" at 100 is a good place to start. I need to measure the barrel to see how long it actually is. I lost a bit more fps than expected.

I was really happy with the silencer- I can shoot this without ear protection. The rifle actually has a forward motion recoil with the silencer on it.

Top left- with magnetospeed
Top right- off bags
Bottom- with 7.62sdn

460d734fc488abd77daa5d43d0b9ea1c.jpg

I want to get my 6.5 creed threaded and a thunderbeast now :)

I sure like the idea of the can on the rifle. We have no possibility of such accommodation here in the Great White North so long as the Liberals are in power. However, one can hope that should Conservatives get back in such could possibly be permitted.

DrMike":ptm4l8hh said:
I sure like the idea of the can on the rifle. We have no possibility of such accommodation here in the Great White North so long as the Liberals are in power. However, one can hope that should Conservatives get back in such could possibly be permitted.

I've ran one on my work guns for years but I'm starting to wanna get one for personal use. I really think it'd be the heat for kids and new shooters.

Forgot to say thanks Bret- thanks!

It's a homebrew- bptactical in Denver did the threading and timing of the brake.

I'm bummed Canada is so restricted Dr. I'm not too sure which way this election will go.... I plan to get that thunderbeast sooner than later.

Back