Rem 760/7600?

I found one in 35 Whelen this spring. I have not been able to do much work with it this summer due to a few other rifles that need some attention. My plan is to fire 250 HotCors through it. It should be a perfect deer drive gun for the woods of WI. I have a 2-8 Nikon on it. Maybe I can finish up one of my other projects and shoot this rifle a few times this summer.

Hope you get to shoot it teacher!
Mine wears a 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff,
and I hope to shoot her before end of summer!

SJB358":1k6po5uv said:
Darn you Ron!!! I knew you'd have to say something like that.

Scotty, the next time I have my safe open I'll be sure to pass on your love to the two 7600's......and my 30-06's.......and my 325 WSM..... :mrgreen:

Ron

rjm158":3d5lsjn5 said:
SJB358":3d5lsjn5 said:
Darn you Ron!!! I knew you'd have to say something like that.

Scotty, the next time I have my safe open I'll be sure to pass on your love to the two 7600's......and my 30-06's.......and my 325 WSM..... :mrgreen:

Ron

Now your just rubbing it in.... :lol:

I better not talk about my 742/30.06 that shoots inch groups all day long. All you have to do is keep it clean.

Hi Diver!
I had an acquaintance that used a 742 out deer hunting one fall. To make it a short story, he didn't clean his rifle and ended up with an expensive single shot rifle that weekend.

I have a friend in Texas who uses one of those heavy Mod 760 in .308. That ugly, rattling, loose forearm thing will shoot with the best bolt guns! Go figure!

The 760/7600 can be surprisingly accurate in a variety of calibres. Delightful old rifles.

Yes my first rifle being a left was a used 760 in 270 win :grin: I used it on a lot of game in the first few years I hunted. I think I traded it for a Bushnell Scopechief many years ago :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Deerslayer, I purchased my 742 from a Northeastern Deer hunter a couple of years ago and upon breaking it down I found it to be probably one of the most fouled up rifles I had ever seen. He never said it didn't function properly but I have a feeling that's why he sold it to me for 300.00. The exterior was in very good condition. After a thorough cleaning and lube job I shot it with handloads and it functioned perfectly and shot one inch groups with it. Recently I had the good fortune of finding a model 94 Winchester in .32 special that was being sold by a rancher who turned out to be the original owner. I broke that rifle down and found it to be extremely dirty. Probably never cleaned since he purchased in 1956. I guess a lot of people shoot a firearm and never bother to do anything else with it.

I knew an acquaintance that had a 742, sighted it in, didn't clean it, then 1st day of deer season, hada good size Mule Deer buck in his sights, missed shot, and his 742 became an expensive single shot rifle.

Yeah, Diver!
Gotta clean them regularly.
He didn't. Payed for it later.
Plus he payed a gunsmith to clean it.
Sheesh!

I have one 35 Whelen love it. The older 200gr PSP CL's worked great on deer. This bullet has been changed and is slimmer than the scant o-give hornady uses. For most lower 48 hunting the 225gr PT AB and the 220gr Speer would work great.

Also the 760/7600 are free floated barrels, like the AR's and LR's. Good to now the timmeny triggers fit them now a good decelerator pad and I set.

tjen
I would imagine with a 35 Whelen, you do need a good decelerator butt pad.
I would like to get one in 35 Whelen as well!

On a different note:
Does anyone know why a case would stick in the chamber of a 760 after firing, and lock up the action?
Any advice....or ideas are welcomed.

Here is one in 06 that I spruced up a little. As a bonus, remove the scope and you can run it with a rear peep and front post.

I dig that rifle buddy! Something like that in 358 Win or 35 Whelen would be pretty danged sweet in the Northwoods. Is that Ceracote?

Deerslayer, after removing the case (if Possible) I would check it for abnormalities plus check overall case length, and secondly, get a good brush and Brush the daylights out of the chamber. I've seen cases hang up in dirty chambers. Also check slide release.

diverdown":3w1ykee6 said:
Deerslayer, after removing the case (if Possible) I would check it for abnormalities plus check overall case length, and secondly, get a good brush and Brush the daylights out of the chamber. I've seen cases hang up in dirty chambers. Also check slide release.

I took pics.... primer was flattened, don't know if you can tell. There's a little rust in the chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_20150722_160536.jpg
    IMG_20150722_160536.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_20150722_160413.jpg
    IMG_20150722_160413.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,568
Back