Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I just picked up my NIB Remington 673 Guide chambered in 6.5 mm Rem Mag. The fit and function is very good as I expected from a 2004 production rifle. I will be mounting a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm with M1 dials. I am looking forward to putting this rifle through the paces with 120 gr BT, 125 gr PT and 130 gr AB bullets.
JDPictures017.jpg

JDPictures018.jpg

JD338

I think I ruined my keyboard here at work from drooling all over it. Nice find! Enjoy it!

That my friend is a very nice looking rifle! That scope will be perfect on it. I love laminates, strong and stable, oh and gorgeous too! :grin:

Shoot it and shoot it soon please!
David

It looks good, Jim. The strange laminate has grown on me as I use it.

Nice :grin: looking forward to seeing your range results, that is one of the nicest laminate stocks of all time. A 130 gr AccuBond at 3000-3100 fps would be great all around load. Are you going to take the rib off as some others have?

Very nice rifle Jim! Can't wait to see what it looks like all scoped up. I think you will be in Michigan Deer Hunters heaven with the 125/130gr bullets at anything over 3K.. Man, what a cool little rifle. Scotty

Thanks fellas. I am waiting on the bases so I can mount the scope. I am hoping to have them by this Friday so I can start shooting over the holiday weekend.
I can't wait to see what she will do. I am thinking that since his was made in 2004, it should be a decent shooter, we shall see.

JD338

If my experience with the 673 chambered 350 RM is any indication, these rifles can deliver some fine accuracy that'll bring a smile to the most demanding individual. It should be a great experience, Jim.

Looking forward to seeing some additional pics, with the scope mounted. Looks like a very sweet little rig. Congrats!

Nice. I bought one last year and thus begun my reloading experience. That was fun. Then I hunted with it last year. It's an excellent carry, light and balanced with scope.

View attachment My 673.jpg

Note that the sights and rib are removed to accommodate the 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch UCC (older model but great scope). I hope to swap load data and results with you. I have not tried too many things but can tell you that results with the 120BT and 125PT were disappointing. I have only used H4831SSC and Remington primers and brass. 55 grains behind the 130AB does a very consistent 2850 and provides 3/4" groups of 3. 57 grains pushes a 120TTSX close to 3k, also with 3/4" groups. More powder makes 'em go a little faster but opens up the groups.

The first shot from a cold clean barrel is always 1.5" lower and 1" left of the next three (the 3/4 group) and then the 5th one goes off a bit.

negeorgia,

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

Nice rifle!
How bad were the holes in the barrel after you removed the rib? Did you use plug screws?
Can you post a close up of the barrel with out the rib?
I am going to start my load development with RL 22 and the 120 gr BT. With R-P brass and Fed GM215M primers, I am hoping to hit 3100 fps.
Same with the 125 gr PT.

JD338

Nice rifle NEGEORGIA! Looks like a great combo with the 120gr TSX and 130gr AB. Those 6.5's are starting to populate! Scotty

The holes are 6-48. My local gun shop had some screws that plug scope mount holes that fit, tho' they're a bit long and protrude a little. Yeah I could grind 'em but I haven't. This is a different crop of the same pic...
View attachment Barrel.jpg

I posted from memory before, then I reviewed some records. Corrections: H4831sc, not ssc. The best load with 130ABs was indeed 55 grains but I couldn't get 3 consecutive shots inside 3/4" - it was more like 1-1/8 to 1-1/4, shooting on bags. The 120TTSX did 3/4 with 57 grains. I also tried 140PTs but they made unacceptably large groups. I'm going to try RL19 and GM215M's behind 130ABs when I can find 'em.

The stock had a high spot around the sling stud under the barrel and the stock was pressing against the left side of the barrel. I worked on those to float the barrel but have not returned to the range since then.

One more thing: excellent trigger but too stiff. Adjusted it after the first trip to the range. Very helpful!

Back