Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag

Looks pretty darned good so far Jim. I imagine as that barrel continues to break in it will only get better. Scotty

Good start Jim...it will help when you have some more time to settle in and shoot. Glad to hear you gave that Remmy barrel a fighting chance by cleaning between the first few shots :p

Thanks fellas.
I am pretty sure this rifle will be a shooter.
Once I settle on a load for the 120 gr BT, I will work on the 125 gr PT and then the 130 gr AB.

JD338

Not too darn shabby right out of the gate :grin:

Beautiful looking rifle - if those antelope had any idea...........

JD338":25h9i97i said:
Thanks fellas.
I am pretty sure this rifle will be a shooter.
Once I settle on a load for the 120 gr BT, I will work on the 125 gr PT and then the 130 gr AB.

JD338

Within a few weeks we should have a variety of the 6.5's on board. It will be interesting to see what they all do comparatively. Scotty

Don't overlook RL17 and the 130 gr Scirrocco II if you get the chance

1211.jpg

The BC of the Scirrocco is advertised at .571 but I don't think it's that high

woods,

Nice shooting. I will have to take a look at RL 17.
I know your rifle is a LA and your COL is quite a bit longer than the SAAMI spec. What is your barrel length?

JD338

Yes mine is a rebarrel with a Douglas finished at 26" and was built on a long action

But RL17 is definitely worth a try. It will fill up the case less than RL22 or some slower powder but still give you the velocity. The Scirrocco may be too long in a short action though, same with the AccuBond.

If you can get the 125 gr Partition to shoot you wouldn't need any other bullet. Hard to beat that performance.

Good looking rig JD. When you get an antelope in front of you, you'll have a tough decision on which rifle to shoot it with... :grin:

I took the 6.5mm RM out to the range today for some load testing. I ran the loads across the Oehler 35, 15' from the muzzle.
The initial load with the 120 gr BT and 59.0 grs RL 22 Averaged 3062 fps, ES 15, SD 7

60.0 grs RL 22 Averaged 3056, ES 11, SD 5
JDPictures030.jpg

61.0 grs RL 22 Averaged 3129, ES 32, SD 16 (Target on Right)
JDPictures032.jpg

125 gr PT
59.0 grs RL 22 Averaged 3032, ES 82, SD 41
JDPictures034.jpg

60.0 grs RL 25 Averaged 2960, ES 9, SD 5 (Target on Left)

I am going to try IMR 4350 with the 120 gr BT and give RL 22 one more try with the 125 gr PT, loading 59.5 grs and 60.0 grs.

I am starting to think a bedding job is in order to get this thing to shoot.

JD338

Jim - looks like a good start. You may be right on needing to bed. Do you know which were the first, second and third shots of each load tested?

257 Ackley":13dtu344 said:
Jim - looks like a good start. You may be right on needing to bed. Do you know which were the first, second and third shots of each load tested?

Joel,

Every time the first two are together, third one is out.

JD338

Jim,

Those are pretty impressive numbers you generated; they are really tight SDs. I don't believe it will be long until the accuracy is reflected in group size. Good show.

Seems like it is wanting to put them where they are supposed to be. Looks like you are getting great speed out of the 125gr PT's with RL22 and RL25. I imagine a set of pillars wouldn't hurt anything at all. Still might come alive, but with 30.00 worth of materials and a little time, I bet it'll shoot everything well. Scotty

beretzs":1x3gjav2 said:
Seems like it is wanting to put them where they are supposed to be. Looks like you are getting great speed out of the 125gr PT's with RL22 and RL25. I imagine a set of pillars wouldn't hurt anything at all. Still might come alive, but with 30.00 worth of materials and a little time, I bet it'll shoot everything well. Scotty

Jim -
Based on what you are saying (third being out), I would go with what Scotty is saying.

257 Ackley":1fkmj2qy said:
beretzs":1fkmj2qy said:

Jim -
Based on what you are saying (third being out), I would go with what Scotty is saying.

I am fighting NOT doing the same to my 264WM right this second. I am going to try my Retumbo loads first and see what they net. If I am still on shaky ground, pillars are next. Just no really good reason to not do them. After seeing how easy it is, it really gives alot of piece of mind to know the rifle is doing its absolute best with everything you put in it. Scotty

Back