Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag

negeorgia

Thanks for the barrel pic. I am not too crazy about the plug screws so I think I will try to leave the rib on for now.

As for powders, I am going to start with and follow this order...

120 gr BT- RL 22, RL 19 and *IMR4350

125 gr PT- RL 22, RL 19, RL 25 and IMR4831

130 gr AB- RL 22, *IMR4831 and RL 19

The * indicates that this powder proved to be the most accurate powder tested per the Nosler RG #6. My experience over the years is that * powders are usually spot on and definatly worth a try. I have had very good luck with RL 22 and I amplaying a hunch that it will prove to be a good choice in the 6.5mm RM. The velocity is also very impressive.

JD338

Gotta have the rib and the shark fin man!
:mrgreen:

TBASTIAN":3jq2jhsj said:
Looking forward to seeing some additional pics, with the scope mounted. Looks like a very sweet little rig. Congrats!

ditto!

Ribs and shark fin were among the first accoutrements to go when I picked up my 673.

POP":31huva65 said:
Gotta have the rib and the shark fin man!
:mrgreen:

+1000!

That's the allure of this rifle for me. Heck, I handled one in 300SAUM a couple of years ago and figured if I could scratch up the coin for it, I wouldn't even bother to scope it. I think it would make a heck of a woods rifle. A 165gr monolith or bonded core bullet would make a significant impact on whatever jumped out of the brush ahead of you...

Well, here she is, all scoped up.
M673 Guide with a Vari X III 2.5-8x36mm and M1 dials.
JDPictures019.jpg

JD338

Nice looking setup. They kinda' grow on ya'. I'll certainly be looking forward to load development.

DrMike":1m718vd8 said:
Nice looking setup. They kinda' grow on ya'. I'll certainly be looking forward to load development.

Mike,

You are right, this rifle does grow on ya. :grin:
The balance is perfect and I think this rifle will be right at home whether its on the open prairie or in the cedar swamps I hunt.

JD338

I do believe it is about ideal for those cedar swamps; and it will certainly be effective on the prairies. I believe the cartridge has legs.

Jim buddy those M1 dials look dead sexy on that thing, but the rib has to go! It looks like your looking through your scope to use your open sights. I know your getting up there in age, but your eyes can't be that bad! :lol:

Way to go Jim, congrats!
The compact scope clears the rear site just fine. I got the 3x9 compact and I love the look of it and the COOOOL shark fin 8). Without it it's just another dime a dozen everybody has one model 7. My 350 just went through it's paces and it's shooting about 1.25' at a hundred yds. and I'm still fine tuning. I believe you'll be very happy with yours. The 6.5 is a nice caliber and I've been watching for that smaller playmate for the 350.
They just feel good! :grin:
Greg

Looks awesome...it looks like the scope fits just fine behind the rear site, but were you able to get enough eye relief?

Now I'm looking forward to seeing some targets posted from your load development! Congrats on the rifle.

I took the 673 Guide 6.5mm Rem Mag out to the range to get her on paper along with my 280 AI as I mounted a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS scope on it. The first shots were at 50 yds for a rough zero and then move to 100 yds. It took 4 shots to get the 6.5mm RM loaded with a 120 gr BT to rough zero. I cleaned the barrel between shots. The 280 AI hit the X at 3 o'clock first shot!

First up was the 6.5mm RM. My load was a 120 gr BT with 59.0 grs RL 22, R-P case and a GM215M primer.
At 100 yds, my first group went 1.03" with the first two going .254".
JDPictures022.jpg

I then shot the 280 AI and got a rough zero for 200 yds. I will go back out and shoot 200 yds.

I cleaned the barrel on the 6.5mm RM and made a scope adjustment and sent one down range. I went the wrong way and the bullet hit above the group I shot. I corrected my adjustment and lowered the next group into the orange target. The first two cut the same hole and went .183". Shot #3 went right and opened the group to .896" I don't know about #4 as it went low and left but #5 was back up with the first two. Shots 1,2,&5 measure .529".
JDPictures023.jpg

I pan on going back out this weekend. I will reshoot this load and also try 59.5 grs and 60.0 grs. I am thinking I can get her minute of antelope at 300 yds. So far, so good.

JD338

That is looking very good, Jim. It looks as if it is a shooter, that's for sure.

Back