6.5 Rem Mag and RL 16

Thanks alot I apriciate that it shoots extremely well as is and I've also learned that with the gain twist because its starts at 1:12 they are not as sensitive to pressure here's a group I shot with 57 grains

Attachments

• 20220320_140744.jpg
    20220320_140744.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 4
That degree of accuracy will serve you well under any circumstance.(y)

I am fairly new to reloading I normally just use all barnes load data for my other rifles but I can not get any data for the 6.5 wit modern anything lol

You are correct. This is the reason I so frequently remind people that they must work up a load, verifying that it is safe in their firing platform. The one loading must verify that the load is safe, rather than merely accepting the generated data.
Doc - I am sure you know what the program can and can't.

Just wanted to make sure that people don't use it to start with top-loads.
As said - we can send out ammo out to test pressure and speed and I had a few surprises over the years. Both ways with brass I checked the water capacity for.
It is a very good indicator which powders might work well, but then start carefully and pay attention!

Doc - I am sure you know what the program can and can't.

Just wanted to make sure that people don't use it to start with top-loads.
As said - we can send out ammo out to test pressure and speed and I had a few surprises over the years. Both ways with brass I checked the water capacity for.
It is a very good indicator which powders might work well, but then start carefully and pay attention!
True, dat. For years I've been astonished at the number of people who would pick up a loading manual, pick a load and load the highest charge. It was worrisome to me that they didn't take into consideration lot-to-lot variation of components, or that they didn't take into consideration the variations in chamber dimensions, or the multiple variables that are observed in different firing systems. The QL system is a wonderful addendum to hand loaders, but we are still responsible for our own work.

True, dat. For years I've been astonished at the number of people who would pick up a loading manual, pick a load and load the highest charge. It was worrisome to me that they didn't take into consideration lot-to-lot variation of components, or that they didn't take into consideration the variations in chamber dimensions, or the multiple variables that are observed in different firing systems. The QL system is a wonderful addendum to hand loaders, but we are still responsible for our own work.
Copy that.
I don't have your experience, started about 15 years ago.
Whenever I load for others I play chicken and send the loads out for testing. It is ok to blow myself up, but not others.
And usually I do the tests, because I don't think they know pressure signs. One did. Biggest mistake in my reloading and I took the wrong powder. He stopped immediately when the primer fell out...
But I instructed them before.

I like QL very much, but I don't take it as Gospel.
It is a tool and can only work as good as the user...

Have you guys ever had any problems with primer pockets I got a bunch of brass with the rifle some bran new some fired he didnt tell me the amount it's been fired but it looks to be in good shape and I resized them Nd prepped them and went to throw some primers in and 6 out of 40 pockets where to large to take primers is there a remedy for that?

Have you guys ever had any problems with primer pockets I got a bunch of brass with the rifle some bran new some fired he didnt tell me the amount it's been fired but it looks to be in good shape and I resized them Nd prepped them and went to throw some primers in and 6 out of 40 pockets where to large to take primers is there a remedy for that?
Once the primer pockets are enlarged, the brass is good for adding to the discard bucket.

there is a tool to tighten primer pockets . it's not much more than a ball bearing of a proper size . you place it on the primer pocket and whack it with a hammer . you need to support the brass case inside to do this . to me it seems like a bandaid . another style is sold by Bobby Hart .

was the brass cleaned , and deprimed , prior to you getting it ? the reason I ask is I get a faint smoke ring around the primer , when the pocket starts to loosen to the point of junking the brass . sometimes a touch loose pocket is nothing to worry about . if you use brass with leaking primer pockets you will etch the bolt face .

Once the primer pockets are enlarged, the brass is good for adding to the discard bucket.
^ This
There are quick fixes out there. Do your bolt face a favor and pitch them , your bolt will thank you.

here is some info for you , on loose pockets . I'll mark my loose primers , if they feel loose the next cycle I junk them . sometimes ones I have marked feel ok the next cycle , if that's the case I just keep watching them . as soon as one shows the black ring around the primer , I junk it . with all this said , you can always just junk them , if they don't seem right to you . with components so hard to find , and expensive when you do , I hate to see things get tossed when there is life left in them .

P4040072.JPG P6220106.JPG

Back